.223 Rem downloads

sharpsrifle

Hi all.
Reading an article in the latest "GUNS" magazine about the .19/.223 Calhoon.
He mentioned using Blue Dot to create light, "inside 200 yd." rat loads.
I've been toying with the idea of "Hornet/Bee-ish" downloads for the .223 for some time.
Anyone with any experience in this area care to comment?
Load data would be appreciated of course.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

CrowShooter

Don't have experience with Blue Dot, but have shot a lot of 800-X in a 700VS .223. Accuracy was outstanding, with good bullets. I did this to emulate a Hornet, and velocities were around 2500 with the load that I finally decided on. I do have load data for 4 different bullet weights if you will send me your e-mail.

CS

Big Bunny

Sharps...I have used 6gn of Green Dot in a 222 Rem , Winch SRPs with a 50gn super-soft jacketed projectile successfully. It was not chronoed but shot about 6" low in a good group in my 788 Rem and scope!

It "was" to be used for pests to 50m, but the noise was too much - as I am in town. I then switched to 1/2OZ #10s with 2.5gn Green Dot in a 2" 410(trimmed down some AA 410 Winchester wads) with good results to 15m out of a 24" s/shottie barrel.
Fouling was not a problem with the .222, but can be with the 410. I had some suggestions that if could be used for snakes in a 44/40 M94 and matching revolver, but this was never tried.

There is no reason why such downloads cannot be accurate and economical ...if properly tested and proved on paper, and always within ballistic and ethical/legal limits, of course.
But here we are swimming against the main flow a bit. (ie always bigger and better/faster etc).

Best of luck anyway and keep us all posted on your experimentations !

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It "was" to be used for pests to 50m, but the noise was too much [/quote]

Hehehe.... AR Flattop w/22LR kit and AWC suppressor... combine some .22 Sub-sonic's...
hehehe... "air" rifle. :D

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"