223 reloading

rangermonroe

Launching a new caliber for the ranger.

What powder do you guys recommend?

I will be shooting 55gr sp/fmj out of a 1-9 twist 24" barrel. (thanks DanielBoon)

I load some of my other rifles with imr 4896 and h 4831.

I am going to load up some 'rainy day' ammo and would like to set up my powder dump to work with whatever powder you guys come up with.

Thanks.

castnblast

Benchmark...May not be in all the manuals yet, but Mr. Awesome22 and myself have had excellent luck w/ it in our 22-250's. the powder can actually states 223 and 308 as it's excellent calibers. 25.6 gr. is said to be pushing a 55 gr. 223 at 3264 fps. It zips a 223 40 gr. bullet along at 3666 fps. These are max loads, so make sure you reduce by 10% and work up.

The stuff meters real good. take a look at these pix
2007_0105Jan2007pix0084.jpg

Last edited:

castnblast

2007_0105Jan2007pix0084.jpg

I don't think the image showed on the previous reply. The powder on the left is Benchmark. The Powder on the Right is IMR 4064. Benchmark is extruded and highly resistant to variations in temp, but meters like ball powder. I think you'll like it, and get some nice groups w/ it.

amamnn

For that bullet in that rifle, W-748, RL-15, and H335 are all good powders. I've a lot of different powders for exactly what you're going to be loading and those 3 stand out. H335 is a popular match powder, I've found it to be of consistent density, both grain to grain and lot to lot. The RL-15 is perhaps the most versatile of the three. The W-748 is probably stocked by more dealers.

castnblast

amammn...You ought to explore this one (benchmark) too. Hodgdon claims that there is only an 8 fps variance over a 125f temperature spread. That's incredible. They also claim that it is one of the most consistant lot to lot powders on the market. Time will tell if this is marketing or not, but so far I'm extremely impressed.

Powderman

Var-get!!!

Seriously, I have had good luck with 25.0 grains of Varget with that bullet. If these are to be fired in a semiauto, remember to use a firm crimp to prevent bullet setback. I have also used IMR 3031 and BL(C)-2 with excellent results.

Toolman

Here's what I use; H335, BLC2 & WC844.

I noticed your shooting a soft point bullet. Be careful if shooting them out of a AR. The soft points can get shaved & those slivers of lead can get into the bolt lug locking area causing the bolt not to lock 100%. NOT GOOD.
When shooting soft points in mine, I load them by hand, one at a time.

snuffy

I noticed your shooting a soft point bullet. Be careful if shooting them out of a AR. The soft points can get shaved & those slivers of lead can get into the bolt lug locking area causing the bolt not to lock 100%. NOT GOOD.
When shooting soft points in mine, I load them by hand, one at a time.

BS! If your AR is shaving lead from soft pointed ammo, get it fixed! Or buy a better rifle!:confused: It also could be a magazine issue, some of the cheaper mags have bad feed lips/followers.

I've used several different powders, H-335 seems to be the best for all bullet weights. For blasting/fun ammo I use surplus WC-844. Varget works best for 60 grain on up to 69 grainers, my 1-9 twist will NOT stabilize the 75's. I just bought a pound of benchmark, I want to try it for 55 grainers, both soft points and FMJ.

Daniel BOON

fun with the AR15

heres my answer to plinking fun.......don't reload it. remington/winchester sells 55gr fmj for 5 bucks a box; and the once fired brass i can trade for powder.
at one point i did reload for it, but after reading about barrels blowing up from reloads, I decided to just shoot factory.
I'm glad we made that deal RangerMonroe, have fun, and buy you son an acceptable scope:p

Toolman

Hey Snuf, lighten up!,,,,,I didn't say his gun shaved lead. I have no idea what gun the guy is shooting. There have been incidences where it has occurred & I just wanted to let the guy know to be careful.