.223 Reload Info 1-9 twist

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Anyone here loading .223 for a S&W M&P .223 w/1-9 twist? Is there a rule of thumb on bullet wt. for the 1-9?

Will be my first time loading .223, have tried to purchase dies, bullets etc. seems like there is limited supply right now (and maybe won't get any better for say another 8 years). Not in a hurry, just looking for ideas.

Any help or suggestions on the use of different resize dies. Also looking for powder suggestions, most popular and easy to find.

Basically any info on .223 / 5.56 loading would be very helpful.

Any opinions on the M&P? Any pro or con you can offer would be of interest. I tried a search for the rifle, but didn't find anything (could be my search methods).

I hope to locate a good book/manual that covers most of these type questions....any book ideas?

t-u-v-m

HiBC

I load fot a 16 in HBAR with a 1 in 9 twist.

Using win brass I load 25 gr Varget and a 69 gr MK or Nos Comp.I get about 2780 and very good accuracy.

For a book, I recommend having 2 or 3 loading manuals,and learn what you can from them.The magazine format Hogdon annual is good.

Loadbook makes caliber specific collections of the data in several loading manuals,but it is not real current data.

I really like my Lee dies for .223. FL resizing die works great and the Lee Factory Crimp die is nice. Some will say you don't need it (FC die), but it just gives you a little bit of security against a bullet getting pushed back in the case and raising pressure(upon feeding into the chamber). Loading for autoloaders, it is recommended to FL size fired brass each time. For the money, Lee can't be beat. As far as a 1 in 9 twist, you can use bullets towards the heavier end of the spectrum. You may find less accuracy with lighter bullets. My AR and Mini love Hodgdon Varget. Good luck!

223 shooter

My 1 in 9" .223 with 20" barrel has shot extremely well with bullets ranging from 52 - 69 grains. Usually the 55 and 69 grain match bullets is what I use most. Powders that have turned in the best accuracy for me include Benchmark , H322 , and H335. All meter very well. This is a bolt rifle. I have tried VV N133 in a 1 in 12" bolt rifle with the 52s with excellent initial results and will try it in the 1 in 9" later.

DaveInPA

I have three primary loads I shoot from my 1:9" twist AR.

High volume short range blasting load:
55gr FMJ-BT
WCC or PMC brass
25.0 grains Hodgdon H335
CCI 400 or Wolf small rifle magnum primer
Seat to mid-cannelure with mild crimp

100-200 yard load:
Nosler 55gr ballistic tip
RP brass
23.7 grains Hodgdon Benchmark
CCI 400 Primer
2.255" OAL

Beyond 200 yards:
Sierra 69gr Matchking BTHP
Lapua brass
25.5 grains Hodgdon Varget
CCI 400 Primer
2.260" OAL

As always, start low and work up slowly.