.223 (preferably semi) for long range plinking (400-600M)

Chris Phelps

I am looking for another plinking rifle chambered for .223... preferaby semiauto... for 400 to 600 Meters. Something that isnt too terribly expencive (maybe $400 ballpark). Any suggestions?

FirstFreedom

You really need a 1 in 7.5" twist to shoot effectively at those long ranges, to stabilize the heavy bullets you'll need to use (75 to 80 gr). And unfortunately, I know of no stock rifles in that price range with that twist rate. You could try it with a 1 in 9 and lighter bullets (62-70 gr), but wind drift is gonna be a bastage at those ranges.

bikenjam

for what your asking, i think that name a AR-15 to the T. A 1 in 9" twist will stabilize a 75gr. A-max, which is a fine bullet for 400-600 yards. A 1 in 8" twist will allow you to use the 80 gr. bullets. You can go with a 1 in 7" or 1 in 6.5" for 75gr. to 90gr. but i cant see needing it. A target AR-15 will vary greatly, as little as 600 or so, to as much as 2-4 thousand. it seem for a pre-built Target AR-15, $1000 is a common price. My DPMS was $1270 and is a fine gun. A Savage 10fp could be bought for around 500 bucks and has the 1 in 9" twist which i think would work fine for you. Something to keep in mind though, if buy a plinker and shoot plinking ammo, your going to shoot plinking groups. If you buy a target rifle and shoot cheap plinking ammo through it, you'll get ok groups. But if you buy a target gun, and put target ammo through it, then you'll get the groups you want for 600m shooting. I doesn't make any sence to spend 500-1000 bucks on a quality rifle, and shoot dime a round ammo through it.

Good luck to ya

Chris Phelps

for what your asking, i think that name a AR-15 to the T.

Which is precicely why I capped it below $500. For $510, I can buy a kit (less the lower reciever) from model one. Dont flame... I have read good things about them both here and on AR15.com

You really need a 1 in 7.5" twist to shoot effectively at those long ranges, to stabilize the heavy bullets you'll need to use (75 to 80 gr). And unfortunately, I know of no stock rifles in that price range with that twist rate. You could try it with a 1 in 9 and lighter bullets (62-70 gr), but wind drift is gonna be a bastage at those ranges.

Man, I have to start reading up about that stuff.

270Win

My friend with a 1-in-7 twist Bushmaster likes to try medium long range shots. Most days with even a moderate wind, he has few misses off-paper at 400 yards with Sierra 90-grain MatchKing bullets, and otherwise very good results. On a clear day or with some luck, he's had outstanding results. 1-in-7 is really recommended, though. Those 80gr and 90gr Match bullets are fantastic at those distances.

Gaiudo

7 vs 9 twist

Ok, it makes sense that a 1 in 7 twist will help stabalize the heaver rounds. However, does a 1 in 7 twist hurt anything? Will it hurt the lighter rounds, I mean, which Bushmaster claims is "optimal" for the lighter rounds? I have often wondered about this, though I imagine it wouldn't be detrimental.

Cheers

Nick

Gaiudo

oh yeah, YEAH!! First post, I've spent too much time lurking here and posting over at THR. Great site.

Nick

fanoblack

High twist and low weight bullet = very high spin that might pull the bullet apart in flight.

My Father-in-Law has a 220 swift that has a 1-8 or 1-7 ( I can't remember off the top of my head), he had a couple of 44 gr bullets left over from another porject loads them up and about 1/8 didn't make it to the target. Just a little cloud of lead, if you looked up quick enough.

fanoblack

bikenjam

With my 1 in 8" twist, i cant shoot Speer TNT's at all, and i can't shoot hornady's Soft point super explosives at anywhere near max.

I realize you put a price range on you gun, i just thought i'd mention the AR-15 since i love mine. Other than an AR-15 or other high end semi auto's, i don't think your going to find a semi auto that will shoot as well as your looking for. I still think you'd really injoy a savage, but a H&R single shot would be about half the price of the varmint savage.

hpg

I'm not aware of a gun you are requesting, semi-auto under $500.00. An AR-15 is going to be about your only choice for those distances. You won't get the correct twist rate you will need to stabilize heavier bullets and those distances, 400-600M with anything but an AR. Good Luck on your search. hpg

bikenjam

With my 1 in 8" twist, i cant shoot Speer TNT's at all, and i can't shoot hornady's Soft point super explosives at anywhere near max.

I realize you put a price range on you gun, i just thought i'd mention the AR-15 since i love mine. Other than an AR-15 or other high end semi auto's, i don't think your going to find a semi auto that will shoot as well as your looking for. I still think you'd really injoy a savage, but a H&R single shot would be about half the price of the varmint savage.

CypherNinja

With the price range you listed, you'll probably be limited to finding a good deal on an inexpensive, used, bolt gun and fitting an aftermarket barrel.

Chris Phelps

This is the one I will probably go with. I have read a lot about the "dreaded" model 1 rifles, but it appears they go the same route as taurus.... Good rifles with an undeserved bad rep.

These kits come with a 1 in 9 twist, but I can change the barrel out at a later date.

Why is it that companies like bushmaster and dpms ofer a 1 in 9 or 1 in 12 twist if 1 in 7 is better for distance shooting?

Lycanthrope

Nice varminter.

1:12 won't stabilize the heavier bullets, they'll tumble. It's a varmint twist.

1:9 is a goord compromise and will run 55gr-69gr from my experience. 1:7 is needed when you go to the high end...like 80gr. 1:7 will throat the barrel a bit sooner.

My service rifle was a White Oak Precision 1:7 that would shoot .5 MOA with the 69gr SMK. It was my first tack-driving AR. 600 yards is common in CMP shooting.

Later, I bought a Clark Gator upper. Those are guaranteed to run .5 MOA with handloads. It didn't disappoint although it differred with a 1:9 twist. It's application is a bit different as it is primarily a 3 gun rifle and shooting to 600 is rare in that arena.

I've had some others along the way and all were good rifles if I kept everything tight on the bolt carrier. I've ran several hundred through them all at one time and never had any issues to a "dirty" AR. Since I expect max accuracy, non were chrome lined. You'll find that A LOT of AR's are using the same or comparative parts. Many manufacturers use Wilson or Shaw barrels.....mostly Wilson. Model 1 uses Shaw.

This last year I built a Model 1 kit to have a beater/bump fire AR that I could run a few thousand of Wolf through and not worry about degrading accuracy. I have several heavy barrel AR's so I went with the pencil barrel, lightweight CAR kit (something the girlfriend could shoot, too). The kit's finish was really good when mated to a Stag lower and oiled up.
The only part that needed work was the bolt release button. It needed reamed with a drill bit to slide easily over it's pin. Check the pin first before you try to install it.

Model1small.JPG

Anyhow, I broke her in by cleaning after every shot/few shots for 100 or so rounds and ran a few hundred Wolf through her. No problems. A few weeks ago in a warm spell I went out for some bench work. I loaded up some 69gr Sierra Match Kings over 24.5gr of Varget and CCI 400 primers. All my guns have loved this load.

I bagged her in good and squeezed off three. It has the "15 minute trigger job" to get the pull down to about 4lbs.

model1group.JPG

That's under 3/4 MOA from a "junk" AR that isn't even free floated. I've had some good AR's in my stable and have read all the negatives about these guns. There are a couple people who cracked bolts .....a long time ago. There appear to be no recent problems. Even if I would crack one, I could replace it with a chrome plated bolt and still be under the price of a new AR.

Anyhow, I'd get that kit and break her in well (clean after every shot with CLP patch, then dry patch for 50-100....don't let her get hot). Then I'd shoot it and shoot it and shoot it. Later I'd rebarrel with a Krieger, Compass Lake, or White Oak Precision barrel.

hpg

Chris Phelps,

You do realize that is not a complete rifle, don't you? The lower receiver is not included in the price. hpg

Chris Phelps

Chris Phelps,

You do realize that is not a complete rifle, don't you? The lower receiver is not included in the price. hpg

Yes sir. My 2nd post in this thread:

Which is precicely why I capped it below $500. For $510, I can buy a kit (less the lower reciever) from model one. Dont flame... I have read good things about them both here and on AR15.com

FirstFreedom

Of course, having said all that, if you live in a place with no wind, then a 40 grainer and a 1 in 12 is all you need for punching paper. :p