.223 out to 700 yards question

cgaengineer

New to forum

Firearm Remington PSS .223 1:9 twist

I am looking for a heavier bullet to get me out to 700 yards with this rifle. Currently we have only been to 100 yard ranges so bullet choice was a non issue at that distance. We now have access to a 700 yard range and would like to get the .223 on target at this distance. This firearm belongs to my wife and it will be her first time shooting at this distance. The range is offering a 2 hour course that will teach long range shooting to 600 and 700 yards and my wife and I both plan to take the course.

I own the exact same rifle in .308 and also an LTR in .308...getting to 530 yards was not a problem with a 167gr BTHP but I may as well get some info on a stable bullet for this range as well.

Maybe you could point me in the right direction for a good starter load for both rifles, bullet, powder and primer.

My equipment:

RCBS Single Stage Press
Lyman 1200 DPS

Thanks a million...will be visiting this forum frequently.

Alleykat

I'm sure somebody will come along with some excellent recommendations, but, in the meanwhile, I'd suggest that you check out varminthunters.com. Those guys are REALLY into long-range accuracy, and most of them shoot .223s.

kraigwy

You can try 77 & 80 SMKs, I use the 80s in 1000 yard matches with my White Oak Upper service rifle. But it has a 1 in 7 twist.

Your rifle may shoot the 77s, only way to find out is try it. Try loading them a bit longer, they wont fit the mag. but should shoot a bit better.

Juist try it with both 77s and 80s

snuffy

cgaengineer, your 1-9 twist is good to 60 -70 grains, MAYBE 75, but no more. Since it's a bolt rifle, you may be able to get the velocity up enough to stabilize a 75 grain bullet.

My bushy AR does fine with the 69 nosler match bullet. I tried some Berger 70 grain VLD's, the longer sleeker bullet was only marginally stabil.

You shouldn't have any problem hitting the x bull at 600 - 700 yds, in a low or no wind condition. But a breeze or variable wind will drive you nuts!

cgaengineer

Now I got one saying try 80's and the other says nothing above 80. Does it matter that the barrel length is 26". I know it matters but will it make a difference in being able to shoot an 80 or not?

snuffy

A 26" barrel will mean you can expect SOME extra velocity from whatever load you're using. That WILL mean that possibly you can get a heavier bullet to stabilize, but there's still a limit to what the 1-9 twist will do. I'd bet a considerable amount of money, that an 80 grain bullet will never be fully stabilized by a 1-9 twist no matter how long the barrel is.

Using one of the slower powders in that long tube, might let you use a 75 grain bullet as long as it is not a VLD.

cgaengineer

I'm going to go with your suggestion and try the Berger 70 VLD. What would be a good starting charge? Hopefully I wont have a problem chambering these.

rn22723

I am sure that with some load development you can load the 75gr AMax or Berger VLD in the PSS. You may even try 80gr OTM's, too. I had good accuracy with them in a PSS I owned.