223 neck sizing die

rebs

Can you guys educate me on the neck sizing dies available for 223 rem ? I see there are many different ones such as bushing etc
, which do you guys prefer ?

jetinteriorguy

Lee collet works. Between this and the Forster micro seating die I get consistently .001 or less runout on both .223 and 6.5 CM. It's literally effortless.

jpx2rk

I have a Lee collet die and a RCBS NS die. I usually FL size 223 but use a Lee collet die on 204 brass a lot.

hounddawg

ditto on the Lee Collet, or spend three times the money for a bushing die. I have both and the difference in runout is moot

MarkCO

Lee collet works. Between this and the Forster micro seating die I get consistently .001 or less runout on both .223 and 6.5 CM. It's literally effortless.

I use the same combo. Lee Collet is the best. Might be their best product ever, they just don't make it in enough calibers.

rebs

What are the undersized mandrels used for ?

Thank you for the replies I appreciate it

Last edited:

jugornot

I changed from Redding Competition Neck Sizer to the Lee Collet Die. I had a problem using the WFT trimmer with the Redding die.

mgulino

I use the Lee Collet die to neck size brass that has been fired in my rifle. All other brass gets full length sized.

m&p45acp10+1

I use the Lee Collet die for neck sizing for my bolt action. It does add some accuracy. It also cuts my loading time down as well. No need to tumble brass. Since it fired in my bolt action it does not hit the ground. I have not had to trim any of my cases either. Primer pockets start to loosen after many loads. I have a rule of thumb of 5 neck sizes before a full length resize. Never have had a problem of hard bolt lift, or chanbering issues either.

My Savage 12VSS gets quarter to half MOA on average.

Even for a self-loader, the Lee Collet Die in combination with the Redding Body Die gives you the straightest, lowest runout case you can get. Once you have that, nothing beats the Redding Competition Seating Die for straight seating of the bullet (see recent thread on this topic).

As far as trimming goes, if you neck-size-only, you don't need to trim because case growth happens when you narrow the case body in an FL or body die and then extrude the shoulder until the datum is the desired distance from the head ("set" it back), which feeds brass from the shoulder into the neck.