.223 long range (e.g. 860yds: Youtube Video): What rifle/barrel/ammo would you use?

Para Bellum

Hi there,

here's a pretty impressive video of 860yds shooting with a .223 rifle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9NkQldeu0

If you were to build your ultimate .223 long range rifle,
1.) what barrel would you use (and why)?
2.) what barrel length would you use (and why)?
3.) which rifle platform would you use (and why)?
4.) which factory ammo would you use if you had to (and why)?

Please do not suggest other calibers etc (I know that).
This is a .223 only thread.

Jimro

I have two options.

Option number 1, an AR "space gun"

28" barrel, free floated. Gas tube is optional, take it or leave it. Twist rate of 1:7 or tighter. Bullets would be Berger VLDs. Powder charge would be way over SAAMI spec, as hot as I could get without blowing primers.

Easy to build and easy to rebuild. Slower lock time than an m98 but that doesn't seem to hurt the guys I know who shoot space guns.

Option number 2, a Savage 10 with 28" barrel. Faster lock time than a Rem700 and easier to rebarrel.

Jimro

kraigwy

Guess I'd have to say I'd use my White Oak upper AR. 1 in 7 twist barrel, bushing an 80 SMK. 20 in service rifle configeration.

It does fairly well at 1000 yard service rifle matches so I suppose it'll work ok at 860 yards.

Citizen Carrier

My match rifle in .223 is built on a post-64 Winchester push feed Model 70 action. The barrel is a heavy contour stainless barrel by Hart. I believe it is about 24 inches long, but haven't measured it yet.

I bought it from an older shooter who was getting out of the sport.

The trigger is a Jewell. Stock is a Master Class heavy. Rear sight is a Redfield International.

The last owner couldn't remember the rate of twist, but told me it was good for up to 80 grain bullets, so I suspect it is either a 1:7 or a 1:7.7 rate.

kraigwy

You shoot matches at 100yds with .223?
How are your groups and your competitor's groups?

To be honest, my groups (dont shoot for groups but for scores) could be better, I've been shooting HP/1000 matches for over 30 years, but with a M14/M1A. I have just been getting into the AR High Power Game the last couple years and still getting use to it. Some of my competitors are a bit differant. I seen better scores with the AR Service rifle then were being shot with the M1As.

I am seeing fewer and fewer M1As at high power matches (including 1000 yards) all the time.

The M14/M1A records (SERVICE RIFLES) have all be broken by the AR. I'm seeing more clean targets now then I use to see, being fired by the ARs.

Take into account I'm talking service rifle, the Match rifle, space guns are a differant thing altogether. They are are much easier to shoot and therefore getting better scores.

I use 80 grn SMKs but there are other match bullets, up to 90 grns, that are also good bullets.

Long range AR shooting came a long way from when I started with the A1s shoot 55 grainers and the A1s sights.

longrifles Inc

Hi there,

here's a pretty impressive video of 860yds shooting with a .223 rifle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9NkQldeu0

If you were to build your ultimate .223 long range rifle,
1.) what barrel would you use (and why)?
2.) what barrel length would you use (and why)?
3.) which rifle platform would you use (and why)?
4.) which factory ammo would you use if you had to (and why)?

Please do not suggest other calibers etc (I know that).
This is a .223 only thread.

If you want long range accuracy out of a 223 here is a fool proof recipe for success.

Mark Chanlynn SS barrel in 1-7.5ROT (cause its the best)
30" long (you'll see why in a minute)
Any quality bolt action, preferrebly in a single shot because it provides for maximum bedding surface contact
COR BON or Black Hills. (I know the people and they build good stuff)

I've built a handful of long winded 223 bolt guns for guys. You basically have to start backwards with these guns. The bullet determines everything and for this kind of shooting you have two choices. Either the 80 grain Berger VLD or the 90 grain JLK.

80 grainers work in a 1-8 and the 90's require a 1-7 to 1-7.5

You load em smokin hot to where the primers are ready to fall out and then you go for it. a long barrel gets the velocity you need while keeping some resemblance of sanity with regards to chamber pressures.

The last two I did were on barrels that finished at 30" and they both shot exceptionally. The guy's last name is Savage and he lives out in CA.

A Phoenix Machine, Nesika, or BAT action are all excellent choices for this kind of gun.

If you have anymore questions just PM me and I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

Chad

Footnote:

The year was 2002 and it was a 1000 yard Palma and "any/any" (meaning any sight/any rifle) match out by Grand Junction, CO. Chris Hatcher, a shooter from the US Army National Guard Team showed up with his AR-15 National Match Service Rifle set up to shoot 90 grain JLK bullets.

He won the match. Beat guys with purpose built Palma guns and the any/any crowd.

It can be done if you can hold elevation and be jonny on the spot when conditions change.

I've personally shot a 3" spotter five times in a row from 600 during the Colorado State Championships (2002) with my service rifle (80 grain Berger VLD's).

Para Bellum

Longrifles, Inc

Wow. Just wow. And thanks for the info!

Kraigwy
The standard 1000 yard High Power targets have a 2 moa X-10 ring, or about 20 inches.
Do you hit the target with each shot reliably?

longrifles Inc

Not that this matters or has relevence here but

Bruce Ardess (I think that's how his L. names is spelled) has the longest recorded kill on a living creature with a rifle.

He shot a prairie dog at 2.5 miles with a 308 Ackley Improved. (I know, Whut the hell?)

It was back in 00 or 01. Precision shooting did a little piece on it. I've met the guy. He builds guns at his house and is a pretty cool dude. Lives in Pueblo CO.

Using that as a barometer, a 223 at a "measly" 1000 yards should be easy right?!!