223-IMR 4895-52gr BTHP

308Loader

Was cleaning out the ammo boxes and came across a hand load from awhile back. went and shot it this weekend and boy did it shoot nice out of a 20" PSA barrel 1 in 7 twist, on a A2 lower. Absolutely no recoil (big $20 muzzle break, bench and bags)

brass = LC13
primer=WSR
Powder IMR 4895
Bullet 52gr Hornady BTHP
COL= 2.230"

Powder charge in my notes = 25.6gr.

This was ladder tested on an 556 16" 1 in 8 twist, Olympic upper, shown the most promise at the time. No pressure signs (when tested on both rifles). The Olympic has evolved into a 300BLK, and a new 20" 556 AR was built on an Anderson lower, A2 stock, free float M-LOK style hand guard... nothing special. Shot great! went to copy the load and noticed the case was very, very full.

I'm out of LC13-16 brass, plan to load the same in Perfecta 223 brass. the thing that cough my attention is the level of powder in the case. This is quite full! not max for Hornady 10th or Hodgdons web page for 53gr spear. not sure that I could drop Hodgdons charge in the brass without a special long drop tube? I think the brass capacity of the perfecta (GFL ?) brass is close enough to LC.

Thoughts on pursuing this load?
comments?
barrel life?
aim for lighter charge (lower possible node) for targets? P-Dogs and paper is goal.

thanks for any input.

44 AMP

Staff
That load, 52gr bullet 25.6gr IMR 4895 is listed in Hornday 7th edition, giving 3100fps from the 26" Rem 700 they used for that test.

SO, out of a 20" I would expect you're getting 3000fpr or LESS, so its a pretty mild load, Barrel life should be several thousand rounds at that level, before accuracy seriously suffers.

David R

I did some ladder testing with that bullet and powder. I ended up at 25.8 with anRP small rifle primer.
Gun is a Remington 700 VL.

David

308Loader

Haven't done many compressed loads. would a drop tube make things fit better? is it worth the trouble?

Right now I'm using one of those plastic pans with a funnel on the end. when I tap the charge into the case it is below the mouth and above the neck. I don't know how anyone could fit more powder into the case.

The other reason I question this load is the 1-7 twist. I thought it was for the heavier end of the bullet weight. I've tried 75gr BTHP with not much luck. They are flying straight, just not grouping that well. 68's do slightly better but not like the 52's out to 200M. maybe more testing :(

Last edited:

Road_Clam

Never experimented with AR15 light weight bullets and 4895. My pet load for 55gr fmj plinking or High Power courses of fire practice is 25.4 gr of Win 748. Shoots excellent in all my AR's regardless of barrel twist. 748 is a ball powder and meters VERY consistently.

Drop tube can make quite a difference with large stick powder grains. A bit less with small sticks. Very little with spherical propellants.

attachment.php

jetinteriorguy

I use the powered handle from my Oral-B toothbrush. The little metal vibrating part that powers the brush when put on the side of the case vibrates just enough to settle the powder but not so much that the powder flies out of the case.

Road_Clam

I rarely load smokeless compressed with the exception of my 223/5.56 600 yd 80 gr match load. However i'm loading 45-70 BP which uses a LOT of varied compressions. My trick is to drop the charge, and rest the base of the case on my running benchtop grinder's motor. The vibration is perfect (and quick) to settle my BP. I've tried the drop tube with BP and IMO they offer little or no difference in powder height.

Last edited: