.223 for hunting

10-96

Oh yeah- fire 'em up. That's what I use on little critters. If you live in a windy locale like I do- it ought to do ya well out to 350yds reliaby. Oooh, I guess I ought to qualify that. I only reload/shoot 55gr bullets with my old benchrest load and just don't try for much past 350. It's kinda slow, but stoopid accurate in both of my CZ's and very tolerable in my AR's.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
From a practical standpoint, I generally figure that about the largest animal that I'll deliberately hunt with a .223 is a coyote. I prefer something with a bit more Oomph! to it for deer.

stinger

I think it is perfect for everything up to deer. For deer it is still a good choice if you know its/your limitations. Check your state regulations to know if it legal.

Sarge

I consider it adequate for anything up & including deer, if one makes a good shot with it. You'll pass shots with the .223, which you could take with confidence using a heavier caliber rifle.

Scorch

The limiting factor for using a 223 for deer is bullet construction. If you are using good bullets and picking your shots well, it would be adequate but not my first choice.

James R. Burke

For everything up to a deer. Yes a deer can be taken with one perfect placement etc, but it would not be my choice. Great varmint type rifle. This is just myself on what I would use. I have a few differnt rifles so I can more closely match what I am hunting.

223nut

I have taken 2 doe mule deer with 62gr Federal Fusion ammo. Both shot were less then 100yrs and neither made a step. 223 will do the job with the right bullet and with YOU the hunter knowing YOUR limits to put the bullet where it needs to go. I would keep my shots not longer then 100yrds.

turbotype87

First of all i would like to say this question seems to come up alot. Here in Connecticut the minimum caliber for deer hunting is .243. Not to say a .223 can't take down a deer with the correct placement. I prefer to use a minimum of .30 caliber. It's funny how each state has there own laws pertaining to caliber size for deer hunting. I own a AR15 Stag model 4 in 5.56mm [.223]. I don't know if i would use it for deer hunting, mostly use it for target practice.

langenc

This issue has been kicked around more than the ball will be Sunday in FL.

About 4 yrs age a gun mag had an atricle about it and it hasn't stopped since.

Nosler Partitions 60 gr.

FrankenMauser

This issue has been kicked around more than the ball will be Sunday in FL.

About 4 yrs age a gun mag had an atricle about it and it hasn't stopped since.

The arguments over .22 caliber hunting cartridges have been getting kicked around for more than 100 years. You're giving gun rags too much credit. ;)

PRONE2

I use it for everytihing from deer and hogs on down Bang flop DEAD! That's just me thought to each there own.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Always remember that there is a bunch of difference in skill levels between those of us who are pretty much dedicated to acquiring a high level of skill in shooting and hunting--versus Mr. Average Guy who doesn't shoot a full box of ammo in a year and maybe gets a half-dozen days in the woods.

rjrivero

My 10 year old uses my .223 AR on HOGS. She's not quite quiet enough in the woods yet for deer, but stalking hogs and getting a good broadside view, she has yet to fail. Nosler Partition is a GOOD performer on these hogs. Last year she took a 300 lb sow, this year it was a bit smaller, 180lbs or so. Neither one walked after getting hit.

Note my daughter shoots every week in the NRA Jr. Rifle program. After starting this program this fall, she's already gotten her Pro Marksman, Marksman, Marksman first class, and Sharpshooter ranking. She's now working on her BARS for her designated marksmen certificate. (i.e. She's no slouch with a rifle)

JohnO

Art, That's an excellent point. I'm certain the DOW takes that into consideration when they determine what the min caliber should be for big game. I know a guy who routinely takes cow elk with his .243. He happens to be an excellent marksman.

jmr40

With good ammo it is fine for the small North Ga deer around here. A 100 lb dressed deer is larger than average and I've seen guys carrying 35 lb deer to the check station in 1 hand.

If hunting in areas with larger deer I feel I could still make it work with good shot placement, but would prefer at least a 243.