.223 For Combat?

GunFool

Of the commercially available .233 rem ammunition, which do you think is best for combat/tactical applications? And why?

Which is the most accurate for long-range engagement?

Which has the best penetration and terminal ballistics for the combat/assault role?

1911greg

Federal M193 ball ammo penetrates pretty well thru hard stuff like glass and steel and frags in soft stuff like walls and bad guys.

from what I have read it makes a real mess, I shot it in some water jugs and it really breaks up good

TheLastBoyScout

Why pay for commercial?? The military spent years and a whole lot of R&D money answering this question. I'll trust their judgement. 55gr for soft targets, 62 gr green tip for penetration.

Jamie Young

I've pulled apart American Eagle ammo and the bullets look pretty close to the IMI bullets I reload. The military stuff is designed to fragment some of the commercial stuff isn't. Nobody tests commercial stuff out in Aghanistan do they?

Which is the most accurate for long-range engagement?

None of the 55gr stuff really does well past 400yds. You can still kill further than that, but the 55gr stuff just doesn't hold up well in the wind. I've seen American Eagle ammo disapate and miss what I was aiming at out to 500yds, while my 62gr/M855 clone loads stayed in a 12in circle.

I just tested out some 69gr HPBT loads and kept them in a 5inch group at 400yds with a Mini 14. Next week I'll try it in my AR15. Its pretty windy at my range so bullet weight really matters.

Its amazing at how well some of the 62-80gr stuff out performs the M193 as far as range and accuracy. Almost makes me think I could leave the FAL at home...............almost.

5.56 ammo was never intended to be longer range ammo and so it really isn't that great for longer ranges, as noted, beyond 400 yards things get iffy. Part of the problem and benefit is that the slug is unstable and wants to tumble to butt end first. It is the spin of the rifling that gives it point forward stability in flight, but that stability can lost fairly easier such as passing through foliage or with a good wind. Of course it is that same instability that makes the round so detrimental when it enters the body. It tries to rotate to butt end first and about 1/2 way through the rotation will break apart. It is for that reason all the so called "experts" kept saying the .223 was an ideal sniper's caliber and that the bullets seemed to 'explode' in the body. Out to 200 yards, it is great. Depending on conditions, however, some rounds will have lost enough velocity out beyond 200-400 yards that they no longer will tumble sufficiently in the body and break apart. This sort of problem is reported with the green tip (ss109?) penetrating ammo that apparently does not tumble and as such, is reported to often pass through bodies cleanly if it doesn't hit bone. The steel in the tip helps to keep the round stable and not tumble, even at higher velocity...or so it has been claimed. I haven't seen any actual information for this, only anecdotal comments such as in Black Hawk Down.

If you want a long range battle gun, then a .308 would be a better option.

Be sure to check out the information on Zombies mentioned at the site noted by AR-10. If you can kill Zombies, then living folks should be no problem at all.