223 Compressed Loads

Bucksnort1

A few years back, I loaded .223 with 55 grain jacketed bullets. I used H-335 and BL-C(2), loaded minimum charge and had no problems with pressure.

Today, I dusted off the reloading equipment and began organizing for .223 (55 grain bullets). I will produce a few test loads with IMR 4064. I've never loaded with 4064 so test loads are on the menu.

My Speer #11, for IMR 4064, calls for a starting load of 24.5 grains and a maximum of 26.5. I decided to start with their middle charge of 25.5 grains. When I charged a case, powder came to the case mouth. The manual does not indicate this is a compressed load. I removed the powder, checked the case for obstructions then charged it with 24.5 grains to see how it looks in the case. It comes to just below the top of the mouth which would still be a compressed load but again, no indication this is a compressed load.

I am out of H-335 so I can't see how full a case would be with charge amount I originally used. I could pull a bullet to see. I still have BL-C(2) and can do the test with it. I do not have any notes indicating any of my previous loads were compressed.

Questions are:

Why does Speer not indicate compressed?

Different powder styles will occupy cases differently so is the reason for 4064 being a compressed load?

I've never loaded anything requiring compression. Is there anything special to this procedure or do I seat the bullet normally?

Marco Califo

The stick powders have settling issues. Normally a longer drop tube is used. A little vibration, like from a hair trimmer might help a charge settle. Just because Speer does not indicate compressed, they may still have compressed loads data (but not indicate so). But try to maximize settling first. You might also consider a shorter grain stick powder like IMR 8208.

Last edited:

lugerstew

I checked the Hodgdon load data website, and they show 3 different 55g bullets and all of them become compressed with Imr 4064.

Bucksnort1

Luger and Marco, thanks for the response.

I did lightly tap the case on my bench to see if there is settling. There was a little. I guess you could call me an experienced re-loader but by no means an expert. The amount of powder alarmed me so I knew I had to do research other than what I was doing with my other load data and in my reference library of information. I never take chances.

HiBC

Good to be cautious. I'm not going to tell you that you can't use 4064.
I would only load a few samples to try.
H-335 is great for 55 gr bullets.
BLC-2 is slower.It might work OK,but I believe BLC-2,4895,Varget,and RE-15 are a step slower.They work with the 69,75,77 gr bullets

4064 is a step slower yet.Its a great,useful powder,but I might save it for 175 gr 308 loads or something.

T. O'Heir

"...maximum of 26.5..." Currently 25.7(C). However, every manual will be slightly different as they reflect the conditions using the exact components given on the day of the test only.
Your Speer #11 was published in 1988. IMR4064 wasn't the same powder then.
"...the reason for 4064 being a compressed load?..." It's about the size of the granules.
"...3 different 55g bullets..." Only the weight matters.

2ndtimer

I have loaded quite a few .223 rounds with IMR-4064 and yes, it is bulky and fills the case rather completely. On the bright side, you literally cannot get enough powder in a .223 case to have pressure problems. On the down side, you won't approach the velocities you can get with other powders (ball or shorter cut extruded powders like Accurate 2015). The other good news with IMR-4064 is that it has provided very good accuracy in my rifles, although sacrificing 200 to 300 fps in velocity.
If you are content with good accuracy and sub 3,000 fps velocity with 50 and 55 gr bullets, it should be just fine.