.223 case length gauge quetion

stacks04

question about the lee trimmer. i am just getting into the .223 loading and if i go by the hornady case length being 1.75", if i screw the case length gauge all the way into the case trimmer/cutter it cuts to short. like 1.73" short. is it supposed to be bottomed out in the cutter?

also, i am loading 55 gr winchester bt bullets with a cannelure on them. when made to the hornady case overall length the cannelure is not hardly to the top of the case. is this ok?

thanks guys. you have been a huge help. its nice to have the help i need without getting the uber attitude you find at alot of store lately.:)

Krieger9

Mine too

I think it's just a matter of maximum case length versus a decent versatile case length and perhaps not requiring one to trim every reload.

I still do, but have thought about doing a measurement and only trimming those that are over. I imagine this will make some difference, but I don't know how much if it would be noticeable.

rjrivero

The trim length should be 1.750. You should set up your trimmer accordingly. I haven't used your exact trimmer, but my trimmer is capable of trimming lower than spec as well.

When working up a round, it's best to start low and work up to make sure you don't have signs of pressure. I seat the bullet to the middle of the cannalure if present, otherwise, I seat it as long as I can get away with. (Weather I'm limited by the magazine, in semi autos or the rifling in bolt actions). Hope this helps.

dsv424

You just have to back it out a little and trim another to see if it is now set for 1.750. I usually make sure by starting with one that is too long then just turn it in a little at a time. Trim some then measure again until you got it set.

stacks04

okay thats what i thought. it seems as if the threads are more of a tapered design for this reason. hence the split in the male end of the case length gauge. i have it set perfect now.

to address my other question about the bullets, the ones i am having trouble with are remington 55 gr sp. they are much shorter than most others i have seen and the winchesters i also have. i have pics if you guys like showing the proper case length and the position of the cannelure, and the proper cannelure positioning and wrong oal. i dont think i want to use the bullets because i wont feel comfortable with them in my semi auto being so short.