.223 bolt with 10 round magazine?

baddarryl

Hi all. I am still looking for a decent bolt gun. I was almost settled on a Tikka T3x Varmit, but magazine capacity is an issue. I have also read that their higher capacity mags have been unreliable. I want one I can shoot Appleseed with. That requires 10 round. I am aware of the Mossberg MPV, but some reported quality issue have me leery. Other suggestions of bolt 223's that higher cap mags are available for? Thank you.

10-96

Man, I wonder what quality issues the MVP had? I had one and got talked out of it, but that was really a sweet little rifle for me and now for the guy it lives with currently.

baddarryl

Man, I wonder what quality issues the MVP had? I had one and got talked out of it, but that was really a sweet little rifle for me and now for the guy it lives with currently.

I have read 2 or 3 different reviews that claimed the bolt was cheap feeling a little rough and some issues with stripping the rounds from the mags. After cycling a Tikka I just can't get used to that idea. I have found I am better off buying better guns than cheap ones and dumping $ into to make them how I want. Done it too many times. Going to give a Howa a serious look I think. I also had a Mossberg 535 that was a POS so maybe that has me soiled.

ripnbst

Go to the snipers hide and buy someone's .223 trainer and buy 10 round mags for it. The mags will be expensive but the gun will likely be silly accurate and the mags reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris in va

On a side note, having completed an Appleseed a while back, a bolt gun isn't ideal for the course. You'd be better served with a 10/22 or something semiauto. The timed AQT requires a pretty fast cycle time. Borrow an AR if you can, 10rd mags. The 20-30 rounders stick down too far in prone.

damienph

Howa 1500

Back to your original question, the Howa 1500 can be fitted with a 10 round detachable magazine. The hinged floorplate bottom metal is replaced with a polymer but it does seem durable. Mine is a very accurate rifle.

baddarryl

On a side note, having completed an Appleseed a while back, a bolt gun isn't ideal for the course. You'd be better served with a 10/22 or something semiauto. The timed AQT requires a pretty fast cycle time. Borrow an AR if you can, 10rd mags.

As stated above I have already done both reg and KD Appleseeds. Qualified Rifleman at the regular event with a 10/22. Looking for a challenge and something different to use in the KD's.

damienph

The .223 Ruger Gunsight Scout uses a proprietary (I think) single stack mag. The only bolt action that takes AR mags that I know of is the Mossberg MVP Series. Regular bolts won't strip a round from AR mags, the Mossberg has a tab that hangs down from the bottom of the bolt to strip a round out of the magazine.

Bluecthomas

Was gonna suggest the Howa 1500 but been beaten to it.

Haven't added the detachable mag to mine yet. But haven't seen bad reviews on it either.