.223 and .308 Hornady TAP Urban

Nyterunner

Guys, I have been playing with the Hornady TAP Urban 110gr .308win ammunition, and I AM IMPRESSED!
Everyone I work with gave me a lot of grief over my FAL because of the tremendous penetrating power of the .308win. Yes, in some situations it was great (cars, hard cover), but in others (trailers, neighborhoods) it was a liability. I really needed a round that had the power of the 308, but with greatly reduced penetration.
The 110gr Urban round is a full-power load using a varmint-type bullet (Vmax?)that has penetration in ballistic jelly (calibrated) of about 9.5-10 inches! AND it will penetrate light body armor (lvl II).The 155gr version penetrates about 15-17 inches. Both have what appears to be incredible effect and fragmentation. This round is supposed to be MUCH safer than a ball round. Is anyone aware of a case involving this ammunition?I would greatly appreciate any information, as we are considering the .223 TAP Urban for general issue to our response team, and all I have is manufacturer-supplied information.

John Overbey

I just ordered a batch of the moly-coated TAP's in 308 for one of my "sport utility rifles". In the past, I've used 180gr Winchester Fail Safe and the 168gr Federal GMM with much sucess. With either of those loads on a rest, I can put 5 shots in a 3/4" group at 100yd, and 10 in an inch. I'm eager to test the TAP's. After reading a little about their design and performance, if they shoot well, I'm sold. The pkg should be here today....
-John