223 64 gr. suggested OAL.

dvdcrr

Bullet is a Power point Win. 64 grain. Question is if you were going to reload some hunting 223 rounds for shooting through a couple AR15 and a bolt action, what would be a good suggested OAL. That would function fine through all three, be safe and serviceable accuracy. Thank you

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Max col for 223 is 2.260, and I believe that is to fit and feed in the mags. Anything at that lenght or shorter should be ok as long as your off the rifling depending on the bullet profle.

Looking at my manuals for similar weight and profiles I'm seeing between 2.200 and 2.260

I would be curious to know the dimensions for a factory loaded cartridge with this bullet.

Last edited:

dvdcrr

Thank you, And yes, I would also be curious to know the factory OAL for the Winchester 64 gr. 223 power point. (SP)

9MMand223only

You can determine the OAL by examining the design of the bullet. Start long. How much "flat" area is left above brass at 2.260? If significant, then you can go deeper, etc. The limit of how deep you can go is you dont want the brass to go even .001 past where the bullet starts to taper. The brass neck must "all" be on the flat part of the bullet. If it is on the flat part of the bullet, OAL within reason, is just preference. Bullets with can. or those channels cut into them, are for crimp, and for those, you want the end of the brass to be inside the can. area. That dictates OAL.

I seat almost everything at 2.255. The reason why you don't want to seat a few at 2.260, if the magazine tolerance is say..."near that" is because you could get some bullets with longer tips and then hurt your reliability because they will be touching the magazine and not feed correctly.

Factory OAL means almost nothing. OAL determines pressure, and is just "1 point" at which the brass neck is sure to be on the flat part of the bullet. In reality, if a bullet is seated at 2.200 or even 2.185, then it will take 2.255 no issue. However, bullets that are designed for longer OAL, such as 2.250, cannot take 2.200 because its possible the brass will go past the flat into the taper, etc.

I hope this helps.

Road_Clam

Amongst the high power competition crowd which many use the 69 or 77gr SMK is to seat AOL to 2.240 to ensure reliable mag feeding.

mehavey

MAX OAL in a AR (Any Bullet, Any Rifle)

- Close bolt on AR
- Drop blunt face cleaning rod (or any small enough dowel rod) down to bolt face
- Mark the rod at muzzle -- remove it.
- Open the AR up/Remove bolt carrier group
- Drop Bullet into chamber/Hold it up agianst rifling start with pencil.
- Drop rod down muzzle again to meet bullet -- Mark the rod.
- Measure the distance between the two marks. That is MAX OAL for Chambering

- The MAX OAL for actual use is ~10-thou shorter to reliably clear the lands, or even shorter as req'd to fit the magazine.

So EZ... a cave man..... :D

Shadow9mm

Factory oal can be partially pressure. At the same time they will also take into account the bullet profile so it should not be too far forward Close to the lands. I had an issue with the .355 xtp bullets trying to seat them long. Because of the shoulder had to seat at factory col from the manual

SAAMI standard has COL at 2.125" to 2.260". Anywhere in there should feed provided the ogive shape doesn't jam the throat.

arlaunch

In the old Winchester loading manuals, they tested that bullet at 2.120.

In my mind that is way!!!! short

The AR-15's, if they have an honest NATO chamber, will handle that bullet fine so long as it fits in the mag.

When i am going for right at mag length, i measure each bullet in the box and find the longest one. Sometimes in several boxes. Set your bullet seater up for that one at 2.260 or so, and the rest will fall well short. Sometimes its handy to keep a few of the longest ones in a baggy for future use if you don't own a micrometer die.

Your bolt gun likely has a different chamber and may jam the lands at the longer seating depths. Hornady bullet comparators are great for seeing this ahead of time.

If not, load them the way you like. Chamber a round, and eject it. You will find out right away if something is wrong/too long.