.223 62grain FMJ

Kram

Hey fellas, it's been a while. I hope you are all well.

I just started reloading. 223 for my ARs. I loaded some 55grain bullets but I want to stick to 62 grain FMJ bullets from Xreame bullets.

I've got some Varget and IMR4064. I know the 4064 doesn't meter well but I'm weighing every load and using a trickle (I'm retired)

I found what might be a good load in the Lyman book but it's for the SS109 62 grain bullet. I'm using 62 grain FMJ ....no steel core. What do you think about the steel core vs no steel core?

What powder do you guys like to use with the 62 grain FMJ bullets?

Thanks fellas

Last edited:

9MMand223only

Hello.

I think Benchmark, AR-Comp, VV N135 are going to be the accurate picks. And I think for ease of metering, and just shooting for fun, H335, AA2230, AA2460, ALliant Varmint, Ramshot TAC are going to be the best choices.

If it was range for fun, I would pick AA2460 or AA2230. They are in stock, right now, on powdervalleyinc.com

Kram

I finished up my last pound of AR-Comp a few days ago loading some 55garin.
I'm gonna try some 4064 first, then maybe some Varget.

For now, I'm really looking for 4064/Varget loads. That's all I have for now.

I will look for some of the powders you mentioned

ocharry

i got a pretty accurate load worked up with Varget and 62gr hornady soft point and a 64gr sierra

Varget will work for ya i think...along with a lot of others

ocharry

TX Nimrod

It is safe to substitute same-weight bullets as long as you begin with the starting load. Both Varget and IMR4064 will give almost identical ballistics, which one is the most accurate is up to the OP’s rifle.

rc

Try AA 2230. I've tried a variety of powders in 223/5.56 cases and it's the one! 4895 works OK too but it's not as nice metering as the small ball powders. I didn't like 748 and a few others I tried like Reloader 15. 4198 is too fast and won't cycle a semi auto but you will find a lot of bolt gun shooters love that one in 222 and 223. You will of course be limited by what you can find now. Armscor makes a decent plinking bullet in 62 grain but the sierra 65 is super accurate in 1:9. That one with 2230 will give you itty bitty groups. My 1:9 bolt gun didn't like 68 or 75 grain BTHP bullets. Good luck.

totaldla

Hey fellas, it's been a while. I hope you are all well.

I just started reloading. 223 for my ARs. I loaded some 55grain bullets but I want to stick to 62 grain FMJ bullets from Xreame bullets.

I've got some Varget and IMR4064. I know the 4064 doesn't meter well but I'm weighing ever load and using a trickle (I'm retired)

I found what might be a good load in the Lyman book but it's for the SS109 62 grain bullet. I'm using 62 grain FMJ ....no steel core. What do you think about the steel core vs no steel core?

Wha powder do you guys like to use with the 62 grain FMJ bullets?

Thanks fellas
I don't care for steel core because it chews the surface of my 1/2" AR500 targets noticeably. As far as powder for 55-77gr, I prefer TAC. And it isn't that hard to find here in SW Idaho. I don't have the patience to trickle every load.

308Loader

I use 4064 in a few 223/556 loads. definitely a full case. might not get the velocity's you can get with other powders, but I have managed to find great shooting loads for 50 to 68gr bullets with it. non steal tipped bullets shoot better in my experience.

Last edited:

kmw1954

Shooting a 223 bolt rifle with both 62gr and 69ge bullets. Barrel is a 1:9 twist.

With both bullets I have had good results with TAC, Benchmark, BL-C2 and 2460

Kram

So the load that I think I'll start with is from the Lyman 50th manual. It states that it's the most accurate of the bunch.. 62 gr.

Its 22grains of 4064 and a 62grain SS109 FMJ. I'm using the X-treme 62gr FMJ. 2747fps. I'm not sure that's fast enough

Thanks guys
fish

Shadow9mm

IMR 4064 should be a good candidate its a touch slower than Varget. I had poor luck with varget and 55g bullets, it prefers heavier, but I don't have enough to play with and cant get more right now. I really like benchmark but cannot get any. I am working with CFE223 as i have a fair bit, and getting ready to start tinkering with BL-c(2) powder with the 75g bullets.

My 2021 lee manual has this data for IMR4064 with 62g jacketed
COL 2.260
start 21.9 at 2671fps
max 23.6 at 2921fps

hope that helps

Shadow9mm

I'd really like to know how the CFE223.
Cfe 223 is a bit temperature sensitive to my understanding but I have not had any issues as of yet. Currently running 55g hornady fmj 27.0g thrown cfe223,16in mid gas, avg 2915fps, es 41, SD 16.54 with cci 450s. cant remember COL off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Most AR barrels are 1-8 twist... meaning that they can stabilize the longer, higher BC bullets. I love the Sierra 68gr HPBT. They are 'fliers' and can reach out to 1k yards. If up and close and personal.... 68gr is better than 52 or 55 gr.

Just my two cents....

/////

jetinteriorguy

My two favorites for 62gr bullets are either Varget or H4895. I use the H4895 because it’s been just a hair more accurate, but it’s not much difference between the two. Both have been consistent .5-.75 MOA as long as I do my part and even on a bad day MOA. I don’t bother weighing out loads anymore, I use a Lee Improved Perfect Powder Measure and the plastic adjustable drums. I work up my loads using the regular brass drum, then once a load is worked up I just set and forget a plastic drum for that weight and mark it for that load. Works great, saves a ton of time and the results have been as good as anything I’ve ever tried for metering powder.

308Loader

+1 on the fast enough for what?

The paper target doesn't know the bullet is 300fps slower than some other potential load. It does know when your platform is in tune with your load. The steel target only knows if it didn't turn the bullet inside out on impact. personally, I'll take a slower load that hits where I intended and does what I expected it to do with in reason.

CFE223 has shown itself to be too sensitive to temp for me. where I live, we can go from -40f to +100f through the year. Haven't done much testing but BLC-2 seems a bit more stable, could be wrong. 4895 and 4064 seem to hold the line, Varget is supposed to be somewhat insensitive to temp?

rodfac

I use 4064 in a few 223/556 loads. definitely a full case. might not get the velocity's you can get with other powders, but I have managed to find great shooting loads for 50 to 68gr bullets with it. non steal tipped bullets shoot better in my experience.
It works for me as well, and I have 16# or so of it...and I'm not trying to squeeze every last fps out of the barrel.

Accuracy is what I'm interested in and 4064 will give that to you, in spite of it's "gritty" metering characteristics. Best regards, Rod