.223 : 55g FMJ vs. 62g Green Tip

Douglas in CT

I have a BM 16" 1:9 rifle, and I've been shooting 55g FMJ at the 100 yard range.
My question is:
What will 62g Green Tip ammo do for me?

You comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT :)

Daren Thompson

I was asking myself this same question as I have an 1/7 twist AR. So I ordered 1200 rounds IMI "green tip " ammo. Then thanks to a ban, shortage , or whatever the order was canceled. I still need some, who has it?

Later
Daren

mhannah1

Look in the latest copy of ShotGun News. I saw a couple of dealers selling 62gr green tip, or try www.hitach.com , they advertise as having it, although I cant vouch for them since Ive never ordered anything from them.

[This message has been edited by mhannah1 (edited June 28, 1999).]

ChrisL

Doug...you might want to check out Cole-Distributing..I believe they might have the SS109 62 gr. you are talking about.

Cole-Distributing.com

Chris..

Douglas in CT

Thank you all for possible sources.

However, my question is:
"Why would I want to shoot the 62g Green tip, since I am now shooting the 55g FMJ with the rifle previously described?"

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT :)

RCH

Douglas,

Your are lucky, your 1:9 twist "should" allow you to shoot either round accurately. The 1:7 twist barrels is to stabilize the heavier 62+g bullets. Unfortunately, those who shoot 55g in a 1:7 notice a degrading of accuracy (Attention Daren). Appartently, the fast twist plays havoc on these rounds. I have a AR with the 1:7 so I'm screwed- plenty of 55g for sale- hard to find 62g FMJ.
I could shoot the Federal Match stuff, but at $15.00 a box...Ouch!

Try some 62g rounds and see what groups you get. They may group the same/better/worse then the 55g rounds!

Johan762

Douglas in CT:

62 gr. Green Tip ammo would give you the following advantage:
(1) Better penetration (trauma plates, helmets, steel plates, windshields, car doors, etc)

(2) Better stability, thus, better performance when your target is behind heavy brush.

(3) Heavier bullets usually retains more energy at longer ranges.

Johannes