223/5.56 AK and derivatives

kcub

What are some good ones?

I have a Galil I really like. Milled, accurate, and very high quality.

2afreedom

If you can find a Saiga .223, they are great guns, especially converted back to their original configuration. SGM sells magazines that run well in them, although they are more expensive than the competition.

drobs

A little too rich for my blood but wouldn't mind one of these:

Definitive Arms 556 AK
AB3A4016.jpg

The Serbian Pap M85 will probably be my next AK pistol:
645214i_ts.jpg

Atlantic Firearms has the (.223) PAP M90 NP now on their website: "in stock". These are manufactured with adapters designed to accept AR magazines: plastic, but reportedly very durable. Approx. $800 or so.

I bought a 'nib' Saiga .223 two weeks ago, and it will stay original. The trigger is pretty good, shorter pull than both of my SKS, and a bit crisp.
There might not be any gun smith in the Memphis area who has installed the bullet guide with which the Saiga .223 might accept AR mags---reliably.

The Izhmash 10rd. magazines are very hard to locate, but I found two of them.

2afreedom: have you tried a few different SGM 20-rd. mags in the Saiga .223?
A few skeptical reports I read about them seemed to be first-hand, but can't remember which of their mag capacities were mentioned. This basic gun really is a lot of fun, even with simple slow fire.

Last edited:

kcub

Are Galils and Valmets good to go with steel case ammunition or might you break an extractor or some other not so easily replaceable part like an AR?

Last edited:

kozak6

Saiga, Vepr, Beryl/Archer, M85NP, M90NP, maybe a Sig.

If you can afford a few thousand dollars for a Valmet, you should be able to afford a couple bucks for someone to dremel on Galil/AK parts until they fit.

halfcocked

Arsenal SLR 106F is a good choice to. Well made, looks just like an AK74 and the side folder looks like a regular stock and locks up rock solid.

2afreedom

I replied to your PM, Ignition. To answer your question, I have 4 20 round SGM magazines for my rifle. All have been perfectly reliable with no modifications to the gun or the magazines.