.222 Remington

ronl

In doing some trading I've ended up with a beautiful, older Remington 700 BDL in .222 Remington. It has an excellent older Weaver steel tubed K10-1 that is still clear as a bell. The trigger breaks very cleanly at around 2lbs. I've read the triple-deuce is capable of excellent accuracy, and I guess I'll get some dies and brass and give it a try, but I'm also considering reaming the chamber to .223. I'll be using the rifle to target shoot and for coyote hunting. In the hunting department, the extra couple hundred FPS could really be beneficial. What do you think? Does anyone have any pet loads for the .222?

Jimro

Leave it 222 Rem. It's The velocity gain from going 223 isn't really enough to justify from a ballistic standpoint.

Don't have a pet load to pass on, but but I'd check with some of the old benchrest guys and ask there.

Jimro

Tom Matiska

Simply reaming it will give you a 223 with a 1-14" twist. Buy the 222 dies, brass, some 40 gr Noslers, and enjoy touching holes at 100 yards.

Last edited:

phil mcwilliam

If I was buying a new rifle Id go the 223, but since you have a 222 no point in changing as there isnt a noticeable difference between the two as a hunting round.