220 Swift reload story--

jrhilde

I asked a shooting buddie who also has a Ruger 77 in 220 swift if he had any 50 grainers, either factory or reloads he would sell me--[the LGS's only had 40 or 45 grain ammo in stock]--he reloads a lot and I said I'd have no problem with that so bought 40 rounds from him and headed to the range--all over the target and the rounds were hitting at all angles, mostly sideways---when I showed him the target, he finally figured out what was wrong---he had grabbed a handful of specialty loads he had worked up for another shooter who had a barrel set up with a 1 in 24 twist and, the bullets are a completely different profile,--bullet diameter is the same, .224, but bullets are longer with a very sharp boat tail ---would this cause the bullets to tumble? Or should these have fired with at least acceptable accuracy? Been out to the range since then with some new Hornady fodder and it's shooting it's normal cloverleafs---does this sound reasonable to you reloaders?

roklok

Sounds reasonable......except for the part about 1/24 twist using long bullets. A 1/24 twist would need very short, light for caliber bullets. Anything is possible with custom barrels, but a 1/24 twist does not sound reasonable.

It is common for bullets too long for a given twist to yaw and keyhole.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A 1:14 is more probable than a 1:24. I've found that 1:14 does just fine with bullets to 55 grains.

But a long, spitzer boat-tail probably would need a twist in the vicinity of 1:12 at the slowest to (my preference) a 1:10. Could be that a 1:9 would be better for a very long bullet. One of those situations where it's a matter of length, not weight.

603Country

My 220 seems to like everything from 50, 52, 53, 55, 60 and 63 grain bullets. I use 4064 powder, winchester cases, and CCI BR2 primers. The twist is 1 in 14, as most Ruger 220's were or are. Next I'll try the Sierra Gamekings in 65 grain, since they supposedly have the same bearing surface as the 63 grain Sierras. I'm expecting that they'll shoot well, but maybe that's just me being hopeful.

FrankenMauser

With my 1:14" twist, I could shoot anything under 60 grains with laser beam precision.

But, when you stepped up with the weight, it went to crap.

thallub

My .220 Swift is a model 70 Winchester. It does very well with most 55 grain bullets. The Barnes 55 grain TSX bullets keyhole when fired from my gun: The 50 grain TSX does not.

jrhilde

I tend to agree with the general consensus that a 1 in 24 twist just doesn't sound right--sounds mighty fast, especially for a longer bullet---I am sure there have been many oddball combinations that someone has dreamed up and that's fine because rounds like the .44 mag, .300 WSM, and many others have turned out to be superior performers---I do think however, I'll stick with the factory stuff for the .220--I've got it sighted in and it shoots the way a .220 should and I'll not be out at the range with it enough to warrant getting all set up to reload---this is my coyote gun and the cold winter weather is gone so I need to get out there and start calling---thanks guys for the feedback---John

jdillon

My No 1V in 220 Swift shoots best with 50 gr. bullets. The 55 gr. shoot well but not as good. Accuracy problems with anything heavier. 26" bbl with a 1:14 twist.