.22 western

longnkrnch

I am considering a .22LR/mag western style single action just to pack on my property for snakes a such. Don't want to spring for the Ruger single six at almost 500.00, but want a good relaiable one just to have when working on the property. Anybody got any recommendations?
Thanks

Daryl

The best advice I can give you is to find a used Ruger Single Six. They can be had for around $300, and it'll outlast anything else you can touch at that price.

Daryl

MW surveyor

I'm going to second Darly's reply. See if you can't find a used single six. I just picked one up for $300 with a 6.5 inch barrel and matching cylinder numbers for both 22 lr and 22 mag.

I looked at the Heritage Rough Riders and while I've heard generally good things about them, I'm at the point where I just can't go with "just any old gun".

Not sure of how much you want to spend, but if you can find the Ruger for what you can afford, it will last you probably forever.

Just MHO and your mileage may vary.

Doodlebugger45

No doubt the Ruger is the standard of quality. But new ones are kind of pricey at over $400. Even good used ones are in the $300 range, but they are still very good. If you are stuck on a brand new one, I have to admit the Heritage Rough Rider is a good looking gun and at $170 for a new one, it is kind of tempting to try. I have not fired the Rough Rider though and I haven't heard anything about them from people who have actually used them.

Somewhere in the middle ground is the EAA Bounty Hunter. You can get a new one for about $260 or so. They are made in Germany. A friend of mine bought one and though he hasn't shot it enough to comment on durability, he claims to like it a lot. It's worth a look.

CajunBass

Look for a used Ruger.

$250 each, within the last couple of months. They're out there.

100_0078.jpg

HighValleyRanch

Other brands

Not a .22, but I have an old hawes (sauer & son) Western Marshall from the 1960's I bought used at a gun show for 150.00
Tons of .357 through it, until it broke a few parts, replaced them and now it is back to solid. Those were like tanks, built in Germany, so don't count the german ones out!

Grey, because the blue is almost all gone!
Keeps on ticking.

More original looking than the rugers.

jamesjo

No longer made, but look into a H&R convertible.
Very well built, good shooting revolvers.
You can buy them LNIB fo about $ 3oo, and around $ 175 for good condition.
Plus they also are a double action gun.

1980 Model 686 4.5"
DSCN16162.jpg

1980 Model 5.5"
dscn16172.jpg

1980 Model 686 7.5"
dscn16182.jpg

1980 Model 686 12"
dscn16192.jpg

1980 Model 649 7.5"
dscn16242.jpg

1980 Model 650 5.5"
dscn16252.jpg

HighValleyRanch

H&R

Does that cylinder swing out on the H&R or does it have a loading gate?
I always thought that they were kinda cool with that single action look, but double action.
The H&R 929 was my first gun. It didn't shoot straight, but at least got me started. I like the gun, though.

Daryl

Just another thought...

You can buy a used Ruger Single Six or Bearcat for $250-$350, shoot it for years, and with proper care it'll never loose it's value.

A new Heritage Rough Rider won't have much, if any resale value. Other brands will vary, but Rugers are well known for their quality and long-term value.

FWIW,
Daryl

Doodlebugger45

Close. But I saw a NIB Single 6 priced at $415 a few months ago.

I also like the H&Rs. My first revolver was a brand new 676 I bought in 1979 for $90. I still have it and it still shoots good.

CajunBass

Are the Colt frontiers running around that price?
I'd rather have the original, a Colt.

Colt Frontier Scout. 22LR/22 Mag. From 1967, with box.

About $400.00

100_0069.jpg

Woah, I guess I'm really out of the loop. Ruger Single Sixs are pricing at $500+/- or so these days?

For a new one maybe, but if you look you can find used ones for half that. I saw one tonight that they had just taken in on trade. It was an "Old Model, three screw", unconverted, with adjustable sights and 22 mag cylinder, and a beat up box. Six digit S/N (1968). They had $300.00 on it, but it probably could be gotten for $250.00. It had a little holster wear, and a couple of scratches, but locked up as tight as a new one.

Tbag

One would be extremely lucky to find a nice Single Six for $250, it would seem $300+ is more of the going rate. Two problems with the Ruger is that it's single action and unloading through the gate is a PITA.

For your cheap budget I'd likely lean towards something like the D/A High Standard, where the entire cylinder flips out like a modern revolver and you can dump all the rounds at once.

Daryl

One would be extremely lucky to find a nice Single Six for $250, it would seem $300+ is more of the going rate. Two problems with the Ruger is that it's single action and unloading through the gate is a PITA.

Almost all single action revolvers load and unload through a loading gate. It's not just a Ruger SA thing. It's the nature of the beast, and it's not bad once a fella (or gal) gets used to it.

The OP asked about a ".22 western", which would equate to a SA .22 in most folks' minds.

;)

Daryl

longnkrnch

gonna shop

I gotta say, you are all correct about the single six. It is the finest SA out there. I had one I purchased new in 1978, but it was stolen. I guess I'll just shop around and look for a deal on a used one. I can't see almost 500.00 for my purposes.

CajunBass

Two problems with the Ruger is that it's single action and unloading through the gate is a PITA.

I've never understood the complaint about a single action being slow to load and unload. What? You're in a hurry to shoot up your ammo or something?

Semi-Auto magazines don't reload themselves. Sure with a semi you buy extra magazines and have them loaded. But you still have to load them sometime. It's just time spent somewhere else at another time. A D/A swing out cylinder might be a little faster but in the real world it's not that much difference, especially after you've used them (S/A's) a bit. And yes, I shoot semi's and DA's also.

Slow down. Enjoy life. Grin a little. :D

The OP asked about a ".22 western", which would equate to a SA .22 in most folks' minds.

Hi Standard used to make a line of swing out cylinder, D/A revolvers patterned after the single action "cowboy gun."