22 TCM Rifles

MTT TL

Has there been any development of SA 22TCM Rifles? I couldn't help but notice the ammo is cheaper and more powerful than 5.7, with less recoil. These seem to be all good things but 5.7 gets all the press.

tangolima

I'm afraid this caliber is fizzling out. Don't know much about rifle. I have monkeyed around 22TCM9R for pistol. Bought conversion slide and barrel for Glock 19. It works with quite some fiddling. Bullet selection is very limited. It requires a lot of slow magnum powder to cycle action reliably. Basically the slide is rocketed back by the powder, instead of the recoil force from the light bullet. It is fun, but that is about it. I wouldn't want use it for anything serious.

I hope it is doing better on the rifle side.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

Seems to me that RI/Armscor are keeping it proprietary--maybe they think they have invented the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think they will strangle and kill it themselves. I don't think much of their stuff in general so wasn't excited by this rollout.

MTT TL

Yes, looking for SA. As a near peer to the 5.7, yet cheaper I don't understand. It's 40% cheaper and has all the same advantages. In theory it would make a better PDW round. Since it is base on the 223 it should be fairly easy to make an ultralight AR.

Tangolima does bring up a good point. Perhaps they have been unable to make anything reliable?

Jim Watson

Unless you were willing to limit a PCC to the blunt 9R load, the trick would be a magazine and magazine well. Maybe you could get the Endomag to work with the regular OAL.

Txhillbilly

Every rifle that I've seen doesn't shoot very accurate with the factory ammo. They do shoot a lot better with hand loads, but still nothing to brag about.

jetinteriorguy

I’m a fan of the 22TCM, and would love a nice bolt action rifle in this caliber. Unfortunately the RIA version is very scarce and from the only person I know who owns one, they’re not all that great. Yet he still won’t sell it to me. I think a good quality rifle, a decent enough mag to allow using ballistically better bullets, and proper hand loading would yield an extremely fun rifle. But this possibility is looking pretty doubtful at this point.