22 sight?

JKump

Just put a scope on my old 22. Silly question, what range should I sight the scoop in at. Will be using CCI mini mags. I am thinking 50 yards. What is your thoughts on what range and why.:confused:

kraigwy

It entirely depends on what you want to shoot. Most of my 22 shooting is at 50 ft shooting small bore targets. Therefore I sight them in at 50 ft. Even when I'm shooting scopes.

Scorch

I sight 22LR rifles at 50 yds, and hold dead on out to 75 yds. You can sight closer and hold dead on out to 50 yds, or sight in at longer distance and hold under at close range, it's entirely up to you. But for ease of use in the field, 50 yds sight-in is hard to beat.

El Paso Joe

In practice, I do pretty much the same as Scorch - sight in at 50 and hold on beyond. But "there's the rub" - the performance of a standard velocity vs a high velocity hollow point will change the equation vis a vis how far you can hold on beyond that.

You should probably decide on what ammo you will be shooting, sight it in at 50, then see how it performs beyond that. In my (not so) humble opinion...

JKump

Why??? I have been shooting for years Military and Police. I just used iron sight on my old 22, never needed a scope. Son got me a cheap scope for Christmas, just thought I would put it on the rifle and sight it in. :rolleyes:

B.L.E.

I have never cared for scopes on .22's. The reason is that a scope is usually about 1.5 inches above the bore of the rifle and when you are trying to make a head shot on a squirrel that's about 20 ft up a tree, if you don't remember to aim about 1 inch above your intended point of impact, you will shoot under the squirrel's head.

Tape some aspirin tablets to a piece of cardboard and put the target 20 ft away and challenge someone with a scoped .22 to hit them. He'll shoot a nice tight group about 1 inch below the tablet.

SHOOTER1X

I agree with Scorch. Fifty yards is about the best overall distance for .22 rimfires. At 25 yds. you will only be about 1/4"high,at 75yds about 1 1/2" low and at 100yds. about 7" low. If you are going to zero in at 100yds you will be about 2 3/4" high at 50yds. The trajectory is pretty flat out to 55yds. so you can hit most targets without much compensation. Beyond that and small errors in distance estimation are serious. If you are going to use your .22 for hunting or pest control where you might come across a target at extremely close distance it is wise to know how much to hold off like B.L.E. said. The hard part is to remember you have too, then in which direction.

Rimfire5

Scopes help older eyes get tight groups

I would sight in at 50 yards. The .22LR is very accurate at that distance and even with a cheap scope, you can really get tight groups with a reasonable 22 at 50 yards. There is a real thrill in bringing a target with lots of single hole groups back to the firing line and, for me, scopes make that possible.
After years of shooting, I've found that my eyes just aren't up to shooting tight groups anymore and have gone to scopes on all 5 of my 22 target rifles.

By the way, the scopes have helped me produce lots of single hole 5-round groups during a recent test of 46 different ammos with the different rifles.

Three of us shot over 13,600 rounds of ammo during the tests and were trying for real accuracy with all the ammo so we were all using scopes shooting off benches with a minimum of 15x. The best single group was 0.023but there were lots of groups under 0.2 inches.
The best 5 ammos averaged 0.477 inches for 646 5-round groups shot at 50 yards outdoors.