22 short rifle

Gopher

Due to the encroaching progress of humanity around my 50 acres, my varmit rounds are becoming a shotgun or a .22 short. I have a Ithaca M-49 single shot that will shoot shorts but I'm looking for a lever action or a semi auto. Any suggestions?

Destructo6

The Remington model 552 Speedmaster will cycle .22 short, long, and long rifle in the same magazine (tubular mag, that is). Pretty nice.

MrBlonde

I have used a little Marlin lever action a few times. Its a good gun, takes shorts longs and long rifles, but if you are a big guy(or girl) I dont reccomend it. Last time I used it I could not use the sights at all because my arms were in such a weird position because of the small distance between the foregrip and stock.

Mal H

Staff
On the other hand the full-size Marlin 39AS falls into the "great rifle" category, IMO. I have shot a lot of 22 shorts with mine and it is extremely accurate with them as it is with almost all other .22's. I have added a Williams sight which helps accuracy quite a lot. It will hold 26 shorts. That's enough for lots of plinking without having to reload every 2 minutes.

saands

I have a Browning BL-22 (lever) that shoots quite nicely ... haven't shot shorts, but I know that it is supposed to.
saands

yorec

Try Rossi's Gallery gun - now made by Taurus. It's a pump instead of semi or lever, but with practice a good shooter can nearly keep up with a semi shooter and can outdistance a lever gun shooter by a long shot. The Gallery gun is well made, finely balanced, reliable, and holds a lot (not sure how many, but mine takes 14 LR) of shorts in it's tube magazine.

SARDUDE

I have a Henry lever action.Paid about $200 new for it,and it eats up both long rifle and shorts.A pretty accurate little bunny thumper!