.22 rimfire not going to be manufactured anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cen

bough a new .45 sig today at the shop and was talking to the owner. He said he's heard that at least the major manufacturers will stop making .22 rimfire ammo due to the low profit they generate. Anyone heard this one yet??

FrankenMauser

Gun shop stupidity, trying to create even more demand for the product, so you snap up everything in sight.

If the margin is low, they increase the price.

horatioo

How hard and expensive would it be to make you own 22 bullets?

Anyone make their own? There isnt a lot of stuff to one and I wouldnt think the manufacturing process would be difficult.

But maybe expensive to set up? IDK.

cen

I hear you all, just wondered if anyone heard anything. I really don't think I've heard of people reloading rimfire. Is it possible to buy brass with rimfire primers?

Microgunner

I don't think you can reload 22 rimfire but I believe it's possible to handload it.
IIRC the Russian Olympians used to handload they're own .22lr ammo.

FrankenMauser

How hard and expensive would it be to make you own 22 bullets?

Anyone make their own? There isnt a lot of stuff to one and I wouldnt think the manufacturing process would be difficult.

But maybe expensive to set up? IDK.
Drawing your own cases requires specialized equipment.

Making your own priming compound is not the safest task...

Priming the cases requires specialized equipment (for any respectable quantities).

The rest is fairly easy-
Add an appropriate amount of powder.
Seat and crimp your swaged/cast bullet.

If it were easy or inexpensive, it would be just as popular as handloading for centerfires.

Dr. Strangelove

That's just silly. The only way I see that even coming close to happening is some if crazy $5.00 per round tax or whatever passes, then I can see folks not buying .22LR anymore.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Black powder cartridge going back to 1847 is still the most popular and most shot caliber anywhere and some clown says it's going to be discontinued and now you are concerned? Are you out of your mind? Why would anybody with an IQ over 70 even entertain that bit of organic waste material. Next thing you know the world will end because the Mayan Calendar ran out of days......Good Golly Jasper I can't believe some of the stupid things that people take seriously.

NWCP

.22LR has been and will continue to be the most popular round out there. There has been more .22 ammo sold to the public than any other ammo IIRC. Most all gun owners I know first learned to shoot with the venerable .22. I own several rifles and handguns chambered for .22LR and .22WMR for that matter. I don't think .22LR at least will be going away anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Gbro

As for the cost of .22 LR I HAD to pick some up the other day and there were no bulk packs anywhere that I could find and hasn't been for a couple months now.
And I bought that store out of Blazzer long rifles with a brick and a half! :(
I payed $1.99 for a 50 count and was trying to remember what we paid for a similar 50 count box back in the 60's?
I am thinking .40 cents but cannot remember.

And the machines in that video looked like they may have been punching out cases back then also.
When watching the priming steps in the video I knew the cases were spun to get the compound into the rim, but I thought it was in a more fluid form.

Status
Not open for further replies.