.22 Rimfire Bullets

James R. Burke

Looking for a good 22 bullet to buy a few of to stock up on for the future. Mainly for hunting small game, and alittle target practice. Something in the middle of the road price wise that will hold up good in the future. Anyone with some suggestions would be really appreaciated. Thanks - Forgot to mention it would be for a rifle probably auto and bolt both.

Last edited:

Scorch

For target and hunting, I really like American Eagle 36 gr copper-plated hollow points, they shoot pretty well out of my 22s. For strictly target shooting, CCI Green Tag 22LR standard velocity or Federal Gold Medal Match 40 gr.

Durangogun

What I use . . .

Forgive me if I'm telling you some things you already know . . .

I'm new here, but thought I might jump in since nobody had replied yet.

Most folks would recommend a high velocity hollow point round of some kind for miscellaneous small critters with a .22.

And they'd also tell you that rimfires seem to often be picky about what ammo they like. I shoot targets and small critters like squirrels with a Savage Anschutz 164 Sporter that seems to be less picky about ammo than most .22s I've owned.

I shoot Federal American Eagle 38 gr. hollow points--they group very well with this rifle. I stocked up the last time they were available here (maybe two years ago), but I think I paid about $24.00 for a brick of 400.

I shoot targets with Federal 711B 40 gr. subsonics. They also group very well with this rifle, cost a lot more than the American Eagles, but nowhere near as much as Eley and Lapua match ammo I've shot that doesn't shoot much better in my rifle.

I look forward to hearing what other's experience has been.

ThomasT

The Federal bulk packs from WM have been very good ammo for me so far. I have shot these in a ruger 77/22, a marlin 981T, model 60 and 75C and a glenfield 25 and all five will stay at 3/4" or less at 50 yards. You do get a rare flyer but not very often.

My 10-22 shoots mini mags better. The 10-22 shoots about 1 1/4" with the federals and has more flyers. Still good enough to hunt with and I beleive they are still around $15 a box of 550. Plus my local store has 8+ boxes in stock now.

ThomasT

The newest issue of "Rifle" magazine has an article by Charles Petty and in the reveiw he shot 51 different types of ammo. The test was shot with a winchester model 52. The largest average group he got was a little over 3/4" including the remington golden bullet that everyone loves to hate.

It seems like just about any load he tried would serve well for stocking up on.

Last edited:

El Paso Joe

I have had the best luck with Remington HV Hollow Points. Even though I have tried some of the higher priced target ammo, I have had the best results with the Remington.

smith357

The good .22 ammos are the ones that work well in your firearms. My .22 squirrel rifle likes standard velocity loads. I have been using Federal 714 target, for years. it's cheap and peforms as well as Wolf or the low end Eley and RWS from my rifle at one third the cost. The Rifle can put them all in one ragged hole from a bench @50 and one moa at 100. I was just about out when I scored 6 bricks at $25 each at Dicks last month. If I want to spend $18 bucks a box on some Tenex it will shoot one hole groups from a concrete bench and a machine rest. But I only do that when I play target games against the heavy guns.

Rembrandt

ratshooter said:
...The newest issue of "Rifle" magazine has an article by Charles Petty and in the reveiw he shot 51 different types of ammo. The test was shot with a winchester model 52. The largest average group he got was a little over 3/4" including the remington golden bullet that everyone loves to hate.

A 52 can make any ammo look it's best....distance you will be using is another factor. I wouldn't expect the same results from lesser quality guns, your results may vary. For hunting and precision target shooting I'd lean toward 40 grain bullets and 36 grain for plinking.

tju1973

I would be sure your rifle likes the ammo, then stock up. My 10/22 (which I was glad to sell) didn't like Federal Bulk, or Remington Golden, but did ok on Winchester 333 stuff..My Marlin 60 likes just about anything, and my Savage Mk II has zero issues on anything I have shot through it--- so I just buy whatever bulk is on sale--- good thing is I have several bricks and a crap ton of loose boxes, so I am pretty set ammowise...

ThomasT

Rembrandt I have posted this here and on rimfirecentral.com and you are the only responder that has "got it".

The gun you use is just as important as the ammunition. People buy a hundred dollar "Plinkster" and can't figure out why when they use $10+ a box Tenex ammo their gun gun won't shoot a quarter inch group at 50 yards.

My Marlin 39 made in 1978 is like Charles Pettys model 52. It seems to like everything. Some loads it likes better but darn near everything will do yoeman service for hunting.

The bottom line is that shooting is a system of good quality guns matched with decent ammo. They rely on each other to give good performance.

Last edited:

Dave R

I, on the other hand, like the Remington 36 gr. Golden Bullet HP. Shoots well out of all my guns, and has good terminal performance on the many pests I have shot with it (mostly 'whistle pigs'.) I have not recovered any slugs, but the through-and-through shots seem to show very good evidence of expansion. I see golf ball sized exit wounds on the far side.

Federal's 36gr HP seems to do well, too, but I have not shot as many of those.

mxsailor803

i would say see what ur rifle likes and doesn't like. then come to a happy medium on price vs performance. personally, i really like the old fashion winchester wildcats. its a proven round and all my rimfires digest it. oh, i have 6 .22 lr firearms, so i need versatility lol

NWCP

I find that my .22s like the CCI Standard Velocity fodder the best. While my bolt and pump rifles will take anything I Feed them the CCI Standard Velocity will also work well in my semi auto rifles and pistols. Much of the bulk .22LR I've used has been hit and miss as far as quality goes. The CCI Velociters, or Mini Mags are fine for the bolt and pump actions. They also put down their fair share of small furry critters.