.22 rifle recommendations

Lee6113

Hello,

I made the AK or AR poll for first rifle and a lot of responses were buy a .22 rifle first. I was already planning to get one, and so I figured I would look into buying it before the other one. But I'm not really sure what to look for. I'd want a nice trigger for sure. But bolt action, semi auto..? Not sure what to look for. I know the ruger 10/22 is really popular, and I've heard good things about marlin rifles, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions and recommendations?

Thanks,

Lee

I have little to no use for a semi-auto .22 (quite unlike my love for ARs / centerfire semi-autos). I prefer a single shot turnbolt, single shot break action, pump, lever, or repeating turnbolt, roughly in that order, in a .22lr - in part because these tend to mostly all shoot shorts, longs, and colibris, too. Never needed a fast follow up with a .22lr, and it's to be "green", to catch and dispose of my empty brass after each shot.

Can't argue with those who say "get a CZ" (452/ 453, or 455). Those are great choices. My favorites include a Rossi 62 16" (pump), and a Marlin 39 TDS 16" (lever), and a Marlin 915 Y (SS turnbolt). If you want quality and don't go CZ or Anschutz, you're generally better off going with an OLD .22 - 70s and prior they were all steel and wood. Now aluminum and plastic.

If you do get a semi-auto, get a Marlin 60 - the best value going for many decades now - more accurate than a 10/22 typically.

tlm225

Several good choices out there depending on your tastes. I like the 10/22. I've had mine for 30 years with the only change being a Volquartsen hammer, a high quality scope, and a sling. My grandson's Marlin XT youth bolt action was a tack driver right out of the box and the CZ line up has built an excellent reputation.

JWT

Smith & Wesson 15/22 might be worth a look. Very nice little guns. Accurate and affordable.

Pathfinder45

Older rifles are generally more interesting than new ones. I also prefer the Marlin semi-autos over the RUGER 10-22. Bolt actions promote better marksmanship.

O4L

I would go with the Marlin 60/Glenfield 75 unless you want an AR type 22, then it would be the S&W 15-22.

ligonierbill

I shoot a CZ 452, and it's hard to beat. A little pricey now. My brother recently bought a Ruger American. It's not pretty at all, but it is very accurate and comes with good sights. Check them out.

Tony Z

I own more than a 15 .22 rifles and 5 .22 pistols. My most accurate? A Remington 513T with Redfield peeps. Best for combination of accuracy, comfort, weight, etc.? My CZ "Trainer". Most fun to shoot? The several Ruger 10/22's. Best appearance? My lever actions, including a Winchester 94/22, several Henry's, including 2 levers and 1 pump, my Marlin 39.

I could go on and on, but my advice is go shopping and handle a variety. Find the one that "speaks" to you (put aside the notion of wanting a lever, a pump, a bolt or a semi). I'm of the opinion that any of the well known makes can be made to shoot, with most of them doing pretty good right out of the box. Yes, some can be finnicky: for example, one of my 10/22 will shoot anything and well. The other is very particular on what will and won't eject & what will print accurately on the target-just took a little more time.

MrBorland

I'd definitely recommend a bolt rifle. The CZ would be an excellent choice. My choice among these would be the 452 Military Trainer, built on the terrific 452 action, it's got excellent iron sights to boot. Add a good sling, and you've got the perfect all-arounder to learn riflecraft.

Personally, I'd avoid semiautos at this point. For one thing, a bolt rifle tends to have better out-of-the-box accuracy. None of the factory 10/22s I've shot, for example, have blown me away with their accuracy. Yes, you can get them to shoot, and there are a lot of parts to help you get there, but I don't see the point when you can do better up front.

In addition, people tend to shoot semi-autos too quickly. That's fine for plinking and even necessary for games like Steel Challenge, but if you're trying to learn to shoot well, you'd be much better off slowing down and concentrating on making every shot count. By shooting too quickly, you'll just learn how to take pot shots, and your skills will suffer over the long term for it.

kcub

I like the old Browning .22 auto. It takes down with 1/4 turn. It loads through the stock. It is proven. It is beautiful. It is Browning.

Ibmikey

Like with your other post you are receiving the wants and dislikes of other forum members. My suggestion is, go to several gun stores and inspect what is available, how the action works, how reliable (& trouble free) check pumps, semi auto, bolt action, light weigh, target, lever actions and on and on then you should be able to make an intelligent choice or come back with specific questions. Do the math before turning in the paper.

Lee6113

Ibmikey
Like with your other post you are receiving the wants and dislikes of other forum members. My suggestion is, go to several gun stores and inspect what is available, how the action works, how reliable (& trouble free) check pumps, semi auto, bolt action, light weigh, target, lever actions and on and on then you should be able to make an intelligent choice or come back with specific questions. Do the math before turning in the paper.

I understand it's all a matter of preference and opinion, and I actually find reading what others say very helpful, especially when specific rifles are recommended that I can look at. If someone posts and says something I didn't think of, that's a win. If they say something I agree with OR disagree with, that's a win for me as well. So even tho people may say "this is the millionth time I've seen this thread" or "just go to your range and try them, we can't make the decision for you", etc., I find hearing people's responses directed specifically to me to be very insightful and valuable. :)

I am leaning towards a bolt action. For sure I don't want a .22 AR, at least right now. I'd use it for practicing longer range shooting, and introductory to rifles as I don't hand as much experience as I do with handguns.

603Country

I have some bolt actions and lever actions and one old semi. The lever guns are pretty heavy, though the 9422 is a good balance of weight, accuracy, and ease of carry. Still, for a first 22 I'd go for a bolt action. I've been tempted to get a Ruger American just because I don't have one. Or, you could prowl the pawnshops for an old Savage, Stevens, Mossberg, or Remington. Those old rifles will shoot extremely well and won't be expensive.

Tony Z

For a bolt, you can't beat a CZ, but don't rule out stumbling across a Ruger 77/22. Also, Browning seems to have a deal on the moment on T-bolt (at least at my local gun shop-Grices/Clearfield).

One final point, guns will never be cheaper than they are at the present and if whatever you think you can afford, I would stretch it up at tad and not rule out a slightly better model of rifle.

JWT

KCubs' suggestion of the lttle Browning semi auto is a good one. They are sweet little guns - and they're Brownings. Love the one I have. It is a joy to shoot and very accurate.

For a bolt action I really like CZs....

Erno86

CZ or a Cooper bolt gun. My BSA Martini Henry is boringly accurate. My favorite squirrel rifle, is my discontinued Yonkers Kimber Classic.

T. O'Heir

"...use it for practicing longer range shooting..." The .22? .22's are good for learning how to shoot on the less expensive, but not so much for long range. That being measured in hundreds of yards.
However, before you do anything, you need to decide how much money you can/want to spend. A 10/22's MSRP starts at roughly $400. A target rifle can go well over a grand.
"...use for a semi-auto .22..." Lets you be a bit, um, daft, without the cost of ammo.

SARuger

I like my Marlin 795 for the money and with a few upgrades its a real shooter. I was plinking 18" gongs at 125 and 150 yards yesterday with American Eagle HV and shooting "standing off-hand". I hit on almost every shot.

lamarw

I am also a lover of the little Browning Semi-Auto. I own two of them. One is a basic grade built in Belgium and the second one is a Grade VI. I believe it is Japanese manufactured.

They are simple precious and will always hold their value. Once you put your mitts on one, you will know the difference in quality and a piece of art vs. just a .22 rifle.

Pond James Pond

Can't argue with those who say "get a CZ" (452/ 453, or 455). Those are great choices.

Which is why I'm going to say CZ 452!

I have one and although I don't shoot it often, it is a great rifle.

I really ought to get it out more frequently!!