22 Rifle Recommendation

22-rimfire

I have a number of 22 rifles and have my preferences and so forth. But, if you were going to buy a new (currently manufactured) 22 rimfire rifle to be used for plinking, light target use (non-competition), and hunting... What you you recommend? >$500 and <$500 price ranges. (But all less than $1000.)

Picher

You owe it to yourself to check out the following rifles:

Remington 504
CZ American
Sako Finnfire
Anschutz 1541
Ruger 10-22, 10-22T, 10-22 Deluxe - Customized
Thompson Center Classic Semi-Auto

I'm partial to the Rem 504. Didn't think the accuracy was good enough, but mine shoots fantastic after pillar bedding. Of course, I'd probably pillar bed a Cooper.

John

MLC

I have a CZ 452 that may very well be my favorite rifle.
It is well made, has fantastic handling and is far more accurate than I ever expected it to be.

22-rimfire

Thank you for your comments. Picher: The list is similar to one that I assembled for myself. I have decided against the Kimbers in general. Too pricey for what you get. I really need to look closely at the CZ models as I don't know much about them. Greenfurniture: How long have you all had that shop in West Knoxville?

Puppy

bolt action: the CZ 452 American.

autoloader: the Ruger 10/22 (avalible at Walmart only) RIFLE in stainless, not the standard "barrel banded" carbine.

Lever action: Marlin Golden 39A.

Single shot: Thompson Center G2 Contender.

Wildalaska

The marlin 39A is the best made and most accurate production 22 out there in your price range, closely followed by Anschitz and Kimber......

WildfactsisfactsAlaska

Picher

I had a CZ 452 Varmint and finally found the right combination to make it shoot well. The biggest problem with that model is that I hated the pistol grip angle. It was also too barrel heavy for informal offhand shooting. The trigger shape was a bit too straight. The American is somewhat better, but the trigger and pistol grip still aren't just right for me.

Also had a Marlin 39A and it was quite accurate for using receiver sights, but not well balanced with a scope. The rifle model is quite heavy to lug around, but the Mountie was pretty nice with the receiver sight. Mine took lots of red squirrels at camp. The triggers aren't too bad and can be smoothed, but it's still an external hammer rifle and it has a pretty slow lock time compared with a modern bolt gun.

I really like my 10-22, but it doesn't feel like my centerfires. The Rem 504 is really great that way. If you like the feel of Rem. 700 hunting rifles and shoot a 504 offhand, all other 22s will come up a bit short.

However if the 700 doesn't fit you well, or you don't like the wooden-stocked, cut-checkered versions made about 20-30 years ago, then don't bother with the 504.

Ya pays ya money and takes ya choice. That's why there are so many different brands/types of guns, cars, breakfast cereal, and even bottled water of all things.

John

handwerk

new 22

I bought my son a cz 452 american, it shoots very well and seems to be a lot of gun for the money. I would buy one again.

dfaugh

well.....

I gotta go with a Marlin 60, with a decent scope and rings...Mine will outshoot my buddies $2500 Winchester (52?) target rifle.

utaherrn

like puppy said

WallyWorld has a non-cataloged Ruger 10-22, stainless, checkered walnut stock and 22" bbl for about $210.00
Feels much more like a real rifle. I love mine.

Also,
CZ just announced the 452 American in left hand, so I'm ordering one of those. I like the lux, but it doesn't come in a southpaw version, so...

The Browning BL-22 is an excellent lever action with a very short lever throw. My first repeating .22 an still enjoy it. Have no personal experience with the Marlin 39A, but it has a loyal following.

just my .02

Swamp Yankee

Sako Finnfire or Anshcutz on the upper end.
Would also consider building a decent Ruger1022. You can buy the rifle and turn it into a work in progress as you shoot it.
Take Care

Andrew LB

Remington hasn't made it in years but my bolt action Remington 521-T is without a question the best .22LR i've ever shot. And i've shot dozens of .22's.