22 revolver

old fart

i am looking to get a 22 revolver soon, what would be a good choice? i can't go over $300 and would like it to be under that, i'm on a tight budget and no way can i spend more than this. thanks

roaddog28

With that amount to spend, look for a Ruger Single Six. I just bought a used one that is 22LR/22 mag with box for $300. They are very good shooters. Another revolver that is inexpense but not as good as a Ruger is a Heritage Rough Rider. You can find a Hertage for $175. But they are not nearly as good as a Ruger Single Six.
Good luck,
Howard

Dave Anderson

Used Ruger Single Six gives you the most for the least. By most I mean quality of construction and materials, accuracy, durability, factory support and resale value.

Edited to add, I was typing this just as the previous message was posted. Glad we are in agreement!

shootniron

Used Single-Six, nice revolver that can be had for relatively cheap. I also have a new Taurus that is junk even after a trip back for service.

mtnbkr

$300 is pretty low. You might get a used Taurus 94, which is not worth buying IMO (after owning one and fondling several others). You could possibly find a used Ruger Bearcat or Single Six for that price. Both are good guns, but Single Actions rather than Double Action such as the Taurus 94. Nothing else I know of (various Ruger and S&W double actions) will be close to that price.

Chris

Cheapshooter

i am looking to get a 22 revolver soon, what would be a good choice? i can't go over $300 and would like it to be under that, i'm on a tight budget and no way can i spend more than this. thanks

A used Ruger if you can find one in your area would be the best choice. A new Heritage rough Rider would be about $100 less, and come with a 22 LR and 22 Magnum cylinder. Although not the high quality of fit, and finish of the Ruger mine has been a very good shooter. Reliable, and accurate. There will be those who criticize the Rough Rider as being made of cheap, inferior materials, and not worth owning, but I find that to not be true at all.
Some information on your intended use would be helpful for further advise.

Joe the Redneck

I have many Harrington and Richardson 22 revolvers from the 60s and 70s.

Accurate, light weight, compact. And I also think there is a "neato" factor to it.

22 single actions can be a bit of a drag. You fire six rounds pretty quick and the reload is slow. But great guns. Just a point to consider.

jimbob86

300 beans won't get you much of a .22 revolver..... semi-auto's on the other hand, great deals right now on older stock Ruger .22/45's ......

Huskerguy

My brother-in-law had a Taurus and although it looked nice and all it took the strength of a gorilla to pull the trigger. He finally sold it at a gun show. He has purchased many handguns and that was his first and last Taurus and he will never live that one down. They might make some nice stuff but that one was not one of them.

I agree with those who are touting the Ruger Single Six. Keep your eyes open for a nice used blue one, they are around. I even found an old three screw for $300 a couple months ago and it was pretty nice.

Try putting a WTB add on here and see what you get.

Brian48

I would tend to agree that $300 is probably not going to give you a lot choices. I'd opt for a used Ruger Single Six as well. These guns are built like tanks so even used ones should give you plenty of service life.

$300 is pretty low. You might get a used Taurus 94, which is not worth buying IMO (after owning one and fondling several others). You could possibly find a used Ruger Bearcat or Single Six for that price. Both are good guns, but Single Actions rather than Double Action such as the Taurus 94. Nothing else I know of (various Ruger and S&W double actions) will be close to that price.

Concur about Taurus. Their basically a cheapened S&W without the quality of S&W. I'd go with a Ruger or a used S&W over a Taurus anyday (unless the Taurus was $100 and can be fixed by me).

bob.a

I don't know what they're bringing these days, bit the H&R 999 top-break revolvers are way cool, and hold 9 cartridges. You ought to be able to find a used one in your price range if you look long enough.

BConklin

'nother vote for a second hand Ruger single six.

I'm partial to the old model 3 screw single sixes - that haven't been "updated".

I just bought another one yesterday - both 22LR and 22WMR cylinders. Now I have two - one with a adjustable sights and a 6.5" barrel and one with fixed sights and a 9.5" barrel. And each was less than $300

9mm

I got a Taurus 94 great gun, I recommend getting 4 inch barrel. Snub nose is nice but I really wished I had waited for a 4 inch. Though I can shoot 25 yards out and hit a human size target, there is no grouping. It spans over a foot +. I havn't fully sited it in so thats a problem also.

It's a cheap gun, don't expect the finish to be S&W or Ruger. The bluring will get messed up if you start scratching at it with brash brushes. I.E around the barrel or cylidner/crane. I was using my brush to get the gunk out of the top of the barrel and the brissles scraped part of the side of the frame, if you look very close. You can see the bluring turning brown? :confused:

Don't do that.

I also recommend a H&R 999 top break those look nice, wish more companies made top break revolvers these days..

Ricky

Not accurate guns ain't no fun

"Great gun" No grouping"

A .22 pistol should be able to shoot the eye out of a grasshopper at 25 yards. I expect much better accuracy then that to call it a "great gun"