.22 reccomendations

63Belair

Hey guys,

I own a 1300 for skeet, but whenever my buddies and I take a break from that and switch over to .22's, i always have to borrow one of theirs. This isnt a big deal since we have more rifles than people, but I have decided to purchase my own .22.

I was wondering what you guys reccomend, I am looking for something fairly inexpensive, reliable, and most of all, fun to shoot. I am leaning towards bolt, but am still on the fence when it comes to action type.

Any and all input on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

hksigwalther

Let me be the first one that arrived on the band wagon. CZ452 or 453. Particularly chambered for .17 HMR over .22 lr, but the .22 lrs will do too.

Limeyfellow

If you want a bolt action you can't get much better than the CZs as been said. Semi automatic I would recommend something like the Marlin 60.

tulsamal

It's fun to own something different and you can usually count on me to recommend something off the wall. But the 10/22 rules the .22 rifle roost for a reason. For a "general fun .22" I don't see how you can do much better.

Gregg

Chuck Dye

I recently bought a Savage MkII left handed .22LR for the honorary nephew. Both the kid and I are well pleased: with the rather rough OEM iron sights, the kid manages ½" to ¾" groups at 50 yards with the Federal bulk pack ammo (my aging eyes can double those groups. :( )

That having been said, I find handling the Savage offhand something of a nuisance with the ten round magazine sticking out, having been spoiled by my Ruger 77/22’s flush mount ten rounders. The Ruger is decently accurate, ¾" to 1" 50 yard groups with the cheap stuff, but not up to the Savage.

Jeepmark2005

+1 for the 10/22 . Cheap initial price and you can do anything with it. Lots of options. Butler creek makes good, cheap 25 round mags. Good luck

maas

10/22 is hands down best bang for the buck. if you are still looking at bolts i hear marlin makes a good one but i dont have any experance with one. i like leavers myself so i have a 94/22 winchester. fun gun and its a tack driver. my only true suggestion is .22's to me are the most fun without a scope.

p.s. nice handle i have a 57 belair

skeeter1

I'm giving +1 for the Ruger 10/22 as well. There's no much more fun little rifle out there to shoot. I like my Marlin 39, but it's a lot more expensive.:)

dfaugh

Marlin 60

Marlin 60, is probably the "best bang for the buck out" there. Mine's way more accurate than a $125 gun should be. Utterly reliable with any ammo.Top it with reasonably priced scope, and have a blast for under $200. If you want something a little nicer, especially in a bolt gun, go for the CZ. I don't have personal experence with these but I've yet to hear one bad thing about them.

buckster

CZ rules

THE low price great rifle that you don't have to put a lot in to get greatness out of. Scope it ,adjust trigger, and find out what ammo it loves. Done. 221.00 @ Walmart. Great for benchrest, plinking, turtle thinning, or first rifle for you or the kids.

Scorch

My vote is for a Ruger 77/22. Mine shot 1" at 100 yds, almost as well as my 22-250 varmint rifle. They shoot great, are easy to carry, and it is a gun you can stick with for the next 50 years.

dbldblu

.22 recomendations

Ditto what FirstFreedom said.

If you want a rifle you can spend a lot of money on to make accurate, buy a 10-22. If you want an accurate rifle right out of the box buy a Marlin 60 (or other Marlin semi).

M14fan

Model 60

Model 60s are cheap, reliable, and plentiful. I own a couple of them. I also have a 10/22 but have had trouble with feeding. Rounds tend to hang in the magazine, both factory and Ramline. I think I may just need to switch ammo.

Still, bang for buck you can't beat the Model 60.

870 wingmaster

The rimfire rifle again!!!!

Well, I have used all the actions, bolts,semis,levers,pumps and have a ruger 10\22 and It aint worth a **** compared to my CZ 452 american 22lr bolt action!!! I can not say enough about it. Best value there is in rimfire rifles IMO!!!! I use that gun more than any other in my cabinet, I agree that the marlin 60 is more accurate for a semi than a 10\22 and priced well. Henry makes a pretty nice lever action Hoo1 thats decent for the $$$ I have a Remington 572 pump thats a decent plinker,But from my experience I really like the CZ 452!!!