22 pistol for a 12 year old girl.

BLUEZ4U

Hello all, I'm looking for a small 22 pistol to introduce my grand daughter to the sport, some self-defense....etc...
I have never owned a 22.
Although she tall for her age (about 5'9) and could handle a bigger cal, I dont want to scare her away.
I would love to have her shoot the 45, and she eventually will,,, Just looking to make her feel comfortable at the range. Any sugg would be great.
Thanks!

Delaware_Dan

Ruger MKII or MKIII. In any flavor they would be an excellent choice. You could buy used, but for the price of a new Ruger, I would buy new. I'm not lying to you when I say your granddaughter will be able to pass it down. Stay away from walther p22 and sig mosquito if you want to shoot the bulk ammo, esp. if you want it to shoot bulk reliably. Your resaults may vary.

BLUEZ4U

I was kinda thinking of the Ruger or a Buckmark.
However, I was looking for something a bit smaller....

10-96

Another fine option is anything in the Browning Buck Mark line. They've started in with putting those fiber optic plastic (I don't know what they're called...). But, quite a few of the models with the normal sights are still available. I don't have the Ruger, but it's been a dang fine pistol for a bunch of years. I'm just recommending the Browning because I have one, and it has yet to show me any hint of a problem.

NWCP

Get her a Browning Buckmark. You can't go wrong. They are inexpensive, reliable and accurate. The factory trigger is one of the better out there. Another plus is they are much easier to assemble and disassemble than the Ruger.

Mac11

Take a look at the new GSG1911 in22LR. I have got one that my daughter loves to shoot and she's about the same stature as your daughter. The gun is cheap ($300) and very reliable. Do a Google search and a lot if info and YouTubes come up.

Leejack

I think any of the popular autos out there would work just fine. I would recommend letting her hold them in her hand, one of them will call out to her!

Having said that, the Bearcat is just off the chart cool! The single six is my favorite 22.:)

Others to consider are the CZ Cadet, Beretta Neos, S&W 22-A. The BuckMarks are nice too. All of these are accurate pistols and fun to shoot. Revolvers are easier to learn to shoot and not complicated compared to semi-autos.

The Neos is probably the easiest to field strip and clean.

If you can let her hold some of these to see what she thinks. The grips are all different and feel different. A pistol with some weight to it will have less recoil.

One thing to think about is having her wear both ear plugs (even the cheap foam type) along with a head set. The noise does affect the shooter. A new shooter is effected even more by the noise.

Venom1956

I was kinda thinking of the Ruger or a Buckmark.
However, I was looking for something a bit smaller....

20 bucks says you looking @ the P22... :D Skip it.

Trust me superior guns can be had for less money. Most of them have been covered here. I would suggest a minimum barrel length of 4" and a maximum of 6" If you want to lighten up the gun look in to the Mk3 22/45 or the Beretta Neos both have poly lowers, but still are pleasant to shoot. The weight is a factor I realize but if she can't hit what shes aiming at she won't enjoy it anyway.

AcridSaint

I'd like to suggest the Walther P22. The system is similar to "real" weapon systems she'll encounter later, the gun is small but feels good in the hand and it is very reasonably accurate. As an added bonus, you can get it in pink if she's into it.

Buteo

I agree with letting her hold and help select the pistol she likes. My daughter is 5'0" and about 100 lbs and loves the Ruger MKIII with the 6 7/8" barrel. Between her and my son, they generally run about 500-700 rounds through it per range session. I think the longer barrel reduces the perceived recoil.

Pahoo

If it's for and introduction or part of her learning curve, then I always start out my Grandkids on a Ruger Single Six. I do this as I think it's important to start here, for a number of reasons. Once they have this well programmed in their minds, I step up to a Ruger NK-II, with short barrel. I require them to learn how to load and operated both actions. A Buckmark would serve this purpose but I no longer have one of these. Understand that this is what I routinely do. I have five Gandsons and two Granddaughters. Will have to wait awhile for my last one as she is only 10-months old. Most of my grandkids know how to shoot and enjoy it as Grampa provides all the ammo ... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

aarondhgraham

There are five good choices,,,

In no particular order:

Browning Buckmark = Great pistol but I found the grip to be funky.
Ruger Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a luger-ish grip.
Ruger 22/45 Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a 1911-ish grip
S&W 22A = Great pistol with a very fat grip.
Beretta NEOS = Great pistol with a very slender grip.

Any of these will serve very well,,,
They are all reliable firearms that aren't ammo picky.

The determiner is which one fits her hand and makes her eyes light up.

Good luck and have fun choosing the pistol for her,,,
That buying trip could easily be as much fun as shooting the gun.

Scout

I recently got a Smith 22A. The grip is fairly wide, but considering her stature, it might work for her. Let her try out a few in the shop for ergonomics. As an aside, I see you've been to the east. It's a pleasure to see you on here. Warm regards.

ET.

My wife shoots a Buckmark Camper and loves it. It is easy to shoot and not a booger to clean either. Plus it can be purchased inexpensively.

Ledbetter

You should look out for a S&W 422 or 622. They are very accurate and reliable, although not made anymore. They use the same mag as a Model 41.

The grip frame is thinner than any other .22 pistol I've shot or handled, which is good for smaller hands.