22 MAG

YARDDOG(1)

dose Any one sell 22mag cassing If so has anyone get the 40grn JHP How Mutch could one save on 50rnd@ 9.00 a box ??? I plan on loading thousands of rnds THANK IN ADVANCE :)

Jim Watson

Maybe the OP didin't mean REload. Once upon a time, like 100+ ybp, you could buy empty primed rimfire cases to load to suit yourself. They have not been available for a long, long time.

So the answer is still no, but not for the same reason.

But thousands of rounds of .22 WMR. Do tell, why?

Arquebus

Back in the 1970/80s a company called Myra's Sporting Goods in Broken Hill, Australia, used to sell empty primed rimfire shells for reloading. They also used to do a lot of experimenting & gunsmithing with rimfires They developed a couple of .17 rimfires way before the Hornadys'. They had the .17 Myra & the .17 Myra-Mite that were based on the .22 Magnum & Long Rifle cases respectively. I seem to recall one being based on the .22 Short case. Another thing they tried to promote was shooting regular .22LR ammo in a sub-caliber barrel. I think they used a .20 caliber barrel, & the .22 bullets would extrude as they were fired.....don't recall what the theory or claims behind it were. I remember reading advertisements for them in the Australian shooting magazines.

dipper

Although it is not COMMONLY done, some people have reloaded 22 rimfire ammo successfully.
They pull the bullets on commercial ammo, reload with the powder of their choice, seat their new bullets and go shooting---it has been done for thousands of rounds.
NO, I have never done it myself.
I am going by memory here and may not be recalling the right caliber but I think the 19 Calhoon (sp?) is one such caliber----experimenters also pull 22 caliber rimfire bullets and replace with 17 caliber.
If anyone is truly interested---do a search online---I am sure in a very short time you will find info on the subject.
Rest assured, IT HAS BEEN DONE by several people.

Well, didn't take me long to find out my memory wasn't up to snuff, the Calhoon is based on the 22 hornet case NOT rimfire---I'll look at some of my stuff and see if I can't find the 22 RIMFIRE cartridges.

Last edited:

joneb

I have a Marlin 882 that will shoot inside of 1"@ a 100yrds but only with certain ammo like older Winchester super X 40gr JHPs after 50rnds the accuracy begins to degrade. This rifle had a very stiff bolt spring that would jump the gun, this was only detectable when dry firing on a empty case while looking through the scope at 12x. I gradually ground the spring until jump was gone, this and floating the barrel greatly increased it's accuracy. Before the mods it shot 2-2.5"@100yrds. This gun is a real gopher getter :D and weakening the spring didn't effect reliability but if you go far it could.

Ain't that the most frustrating thing? I have an old Winchester model 57 sporter that shoots around an inch and a half at 50 yards. The exception is with one ancient box of Remington Kleanbore Match ammunition, probably 40 years old, which it will shoot into half an inch at that range. Nothing else. Not Eley 10X, not Federal Ultra-Match, not RWS. It's not for lack of trying to find something else as good, but it just doesn't seem to exist. It makes me wonder what Remington knew how to do back then that nobody knows how to do now? Probably older skilled labor retired and the "touch", never documented, was lost.

I'm guessing the best bet for reducing the cost of .22 Magnum rimfire is going to be to buy it by the case (5,000 rounds). I buy .22 LR that way. I wait for the Nationals to be underway and get it on commercial row at Camp Perry. where things are discounted. I wouldn't expect to find .22 mag in case quantities there, but I'm guessing you can special order it from a dealer and get a discount by offering to pay up front.

FrankenMauser

ATK (CCI-Speer) was still selling primed .22 WMR hulls a few years ago. However, they are no longer available. Even so, you would have had to purchase a 25,000 hull lot.

It's a shame, really. If they would still sell the hulls, they'd have my money. 25,000 hulls would last me the rest of my life. (Yea, I'm one of the crazy people that loads for it.)

If you're looking for cheap ammo; wait for sales on the Fiocchi soft point and hollow point loads. It's decent ammo, and performs pretty well.
or... IF you can get your hands on some.... ArmsCor used to sell a 40 grain SP load for the .22 WMR, for less than $3/box. (Loaded by the same company that produces the Fiocchi ammo.) The only problem is; ArmsCor discontinued their .22 WMR ammo about 2 years ago.