.22 mag. vs. .44 mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

Seriously.
I just picked up a new North American Arms mini revolver with the dual .22 lr/mag. cylinders and 1.625" barrel. While fondeling my new toy I pulled out my American Derringer Model One with three inch barrel for an informal comparison. Without actually measuring the two appear to be very close in over all length and height, with the AD being slightly wider and obviously heavier.
As most of you know I carry a full size revolver. However for anyone restricted to nothing but the smaller gun which would be preferable, five shots of .22 mag or two shots of .44? With practice the AD can be reloaded comparitively faster.

BTW, the little mini is excellent!

------------------
Gunslinger

P

PreserveFreedom

I have heard only good stuff about the .22WMR. Unless you are going to meet up with a bear, I would be willing to bet the 22WMR will be more useful. I am interested in what others think though.

PLASTIC SIG

I have the 22 mag and if you were to ask me, i would feel better protected with the 44 mag. Even though you compare 5 shots to two, I'd rather have 2 hard hitters than 5 weaker ones.

Bye the way, that little 22 mag loaded with JHP's makes the mini look not-so-mini if you look at the wrong end. Very scary lookin!

Tim :D

K

KilgorII

Hope you've been looking at it in the mirror and not turning the gun aroung and loaded at your eye!

CANIS

I recently got a Bond Arms Derringer in .45lc/.410. I also compared the size to my NAA mini. I was surprised to find that the derringer is not that much larger. Though wider, taller and fatter and heavier, I have found the derringer to be as easy to carry in my back pocket as the Naa mini is. I just break up the outline with a handkerchief. I would rather have 2 rounds of .410 000 buck or 2 rounds of .45lc Semiwadcutter at my disposal.

This is not to say that I don't still love and value my little mini! It still gets the nod when I can't get the derringer to hide well in shorts or dress slacks.

That is my thought on it at least...

Chris Canis

Fisher

I would probably go with the .22 only because the recoil would not be anywhere near as bad as the .44 in such a small package. I suppose the good side to the .44 would be the muzzle flash it would give off. Even if you missed the bad guy and he got away they would be able to identify him from the burn marks over 50% of his body. Of course if it were night when this happened you would both be blind.

All kidding aside, I actually prefer the High Standard two shot derringer in .22 magnum. Although it is a little bit bigger it still can easily be tucked into a pocket or holster inside your waistband. It fits much better in my hand and I find that I can aim it much easier. Even though any situation that may arise where you might need it you would probably instinctively point and shoot instead of actually aiming. With the High Standard you can put your index finger down along the side the barrel to help you point and shoot. It might get a little warm if you try this with the North American arms.

I have to admit though, the little mini is certainly an interesting piece, and a very nice addition to a collection.

Kevinw

I have to go with the Mini here. I have had one and they are easy to shoot. I have not shot the AD but DAMN it has got to hurt. I can honestly say I would be afraid to set it off.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Got a North American mini myself; and I carry
it on day's when a larger firearm isn't permissable. The report from one of these
mini's is damn near as loud as the .44 Maggie. :eek:

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

suckersrus

Lets see...22 times 2 equals 44. So shoot 'em twice.

I think the shock value multiplies with the second shot rather than adds, so multiple shots with the 22 mag should add up to the 44 mag but I don't know how many shots it would take.
I'll bet there's a math major that can calculate this for us.

Gunslinger

Kevin is right about the recoil of the AD in .44 mag.. With anything more than very mild loads the damage inflicted on the shooter is practicaly too great to use it unless the threat were very determined. The muzzel flash is horrendous. Althouhg the little mini loaded with mags has a respectable roar as Ala Dan said.
Personally I can't hit anything with either one at much more than contact range.

------------------
Gunslinger

Status
Not open for further replies.