.22 mag accuracy question:

PointOneSeven

What kind of groups are you guys getting from your .22 magnum long guns?

I took my Marlin 983t bolt action out to sight it in with a new Bushnell Trophy 3-9x scope. Love the scope, love the rifle, but I wasn't even hitting paper at 50 yards.

I brought it in closer and managed about a 1.5 inch group at 20 yards. Just a little dissappointed, I was hoping for at least 3 or 2 inches at 100 yards and it's just not happening.

Any input appreciated.

FrankenMauser

My Marlin 982SS is accurate to minute-of-squirrel at about 150 yards, off hand. (You can translate that to about 2-3", I guess.)

Out to 300 yards, I have been able to achieve about 8" groups. However, the only ammunition consistent enough to do that for me.... was discontinued last year; so the company could make more 17 HMR. :mad:

It really sounds like you got a batch of bad ammo, or a bad rifle.

But... the biggest problem with .22 WMR ammunition is the fact that it has to perform in everything from a 4" barrelled revolver, to 22" barrelled bolt action and semi-auto rifles. The common loads just aren't tailored to work well for any specific application.

With my 982SS, I went through about 8 types (brand/bullet/velocity combinations) of ammunition before I found something my rifle liked. Since finding that first good load, I have gone through probably 8-10 more types. Right now, I have 2 loads I shoot in my rifle:
ArmsCor 40gr JSP (Discontinued, so my supply is dwindling)
Winchester Supreme 34 gr HP.

Having reached the limit of what I am willing to pay for .22 WMR ammo, so I am now 'reloading' for it.
Obligatory disclaimer: CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
I buy the cheapest ammo I can find from CCI or Winchester (their brass is the best), pull the bullet, throw my own or a different weight of powder charge, and seat the bullet of my choice. The last load of 55 grain FMJ ammo I loaded was producing one-hole groups at 50 yards, with near-.22 Hornet velocities.

I know not all of that information is useful to you at the moment, but felt the need to reiterate the lack of quality ammunition, and very picky nature of the firearms I have seen.

.22 Mag can be the funnest cartridge to shoot, or the biggest headache. You never know which way it will go.

bmyers

I have a Marlin 783 that will group 1-1/2 inches at 100 yds. I had a Marlin years ago that would do that also.

I traded that rifle off. Later I wanted another 22mag. I went thru (5) 22mags before finding one that would shoot like my first one.

It's the 783 I have now......It's a keeper

Scorch

I own a Ruger 77/22 Mag, and it gets about 1.5"-2" at 100 yds. At 20 yds, you should have 1-hole groups.

sureshots

Hornady V-Max

At 40 or 50 yards you should have A cluster taking up 1/2 inch or even less even if you shoot A dozen times. If you are going to shoot 100 yards. or more with A 22 Mag. try Hornady V-Max,you will be surprised

mikejonestkd

My .22 mags get right around .5" at 50 yards and just over 1" or so at 100 yards. each rifle only likes one or two brands of ammo so IMO they are a bit finicky. With ammo they don't like they get 2-3" groups at 100 yards.

SteelyNirvana

I buy the cheapest ammo I can find from CCI or Winchester (their brass is the best), pull the bullet, throw my own or a different weight of powder charge, and seat the bullet of my choice. The last load of 55 grain FMJ ammo I loaded was producing one-hole groups at 50 yards, with near-.22 Hornet velocities.

Just how are you pulling and re-seating the bullet without damaging it? What brand of powder and what kind of charge are you using? Never heard of this before, got my curiosity up.

PointOneSeven

Thank you for the advice and the numbers all. I'll keep at it and try a few other ammo choices.

And I've wondered about handloading .22 wmr. It makes sense why they don't offer brass with the liability of playing with rimfire cases. Interesting for academic reasons though :cool:.

Smaug

Just so you know

22LR rifles will shoot that well (1.5") at 100 yards.

If you're only shooting out to 100 yds. you're better off with 22LR. It is beyond 100 yds. that would make the 22WMR more desirable.

If your 22WMR won't shoot well at 100+ yds. you might consider trading it for a 22 Hornet. If you can't get THAT to shoot with the expensive factory ammo, handloading will get you there.

Legionnaire

Keep working at it. .22 WMRs can be very accurate. This five-shot group is from a Savage 24 .22WMR/20 Gauge combo. Leupold 1-4X scope off a rest.

savage24grp01.jpg

j.chappell

I have a 25MN and a 783 that both will out shoot many high end 22LR's. My load of choice is Federal 50gr. HP. They are not as fast as others but man do they shoot. I have shot less than 1" groups at 100yrds. Now they take a serious dive after 100yrds when compared to your 30, 34, and 40 grain high velocity ammo but when it comes to all out accuracy I have found no better.

T. O'Heir

"...wasn't even hitting paper at 50 yards..." Did you have the scope bore sighted. Check the scope mounts, bore sight the scope and change ammo. As with any rimfire, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best.
"...at 100+ yds..." The .22 Mag is a 125 to 150 yard cartridge. Loses too much energy past 100.

Swampghost

The last time that I was at the range there were two kids hitting like Legionnaire @ 100 yds. They were swapping off, one shooting, one spotting.

The round will do it, you should spend a few bucks and let a gunsmith check out your rifle.

preventec47

Here in GA where hog hunting is allowed during all seasons, I was told
that most Hogs were killed with 22 magnum rimfires during the
small game seasons due to the fact that you can only hunt with
what is allowed during the season and the Rimfire is the largest
allowed. That surprised me a good bit and I went over
to 22 Rimfire Central forum and they recently did some penetration
testing and a Federal FMJ 22 magnum penetrated through six
2x4 lumber and lodged into the seventh piece. Damn impressive
I thought. That will shoot thorough both sides of a hog.

thallub

My left hand Savage model 93 makes 1.25" groups at 100 yards. It wears a 4power Nikon Prostaff scope.

I was told that most Hogs were killed with 22 magnum rimfires during the small game seasons due to the fact that you can only hunt with
what is allowed during the season and the Rimfire is the largest
allowed.

I hunt on a huge place in OK where only rimfires are allowed outside of deer season. That Savage gun has killed 8 hogs so far this year. I use the CCI TMJ ammo. That bullet will go through both shoulders of a 100 pound hog.

FrankenMauser

Just how are you pulling and re-seating the bullet without damaging it? What brand of powder and what kind of charge are you using? Never heard of this before, got my curiosity up.

RCBS and Lee .25 ACP shell holders. (Different tolerances)
Hornady Collet bullet puller.
Hornady .22 Caliber seating die. (.22 Hornet - .22-250)

The collet puller works great for jacketed bullets, and usually leaves no marks. For lead... it can work, but it's not worth the trouble. Being a rimfire, you won't see me trying to use an inertia puller, either. If I mistakenly buy a box of something loaded with lead bullets... I just shoot them.

Depending on what kind of ballistics I want, I typically just throw a larger powder charge of the factory powder. That leaves me with some extra primed hulls for testing with my own powders. Powders that tend to work best are slow-for-pistol and fast-for-rifle powders. I haven't tested them all, but I have loaded just about everything available to me, between Titegroup and H4895.