22 lr ammo

CrustyFN

I was wondering what ammo everybody likes the best. I have been shooting CCI mini mags HVHP and Federal HV and was wanting to know what would work better shooting in a bullseye league. Thanks,
Rusty

skeeter1

I've been using Winchester Wildcats and Remington Thunderbolts for years, and they're both good, inexpensive rounds. I can always find a brick for about $10 around here.

On the days I want to shoot some critter really dead, I go for the CCI Stingers, but at $4/50, that's a bit steep for everyday shooting.

Chuck Dye

For plinking and most hunting I buy whatever is cheapest when I shop, though I do not buy Remington bulk packs due to excessive fouling in my auto loader. When I get serious about hunting I usually spring for the Eley HV Rabbit loads as the hottest and, in both my handguns and my rifle, most accurate I have tried.

Best practice for serious competition has always been accepted as testing a variety of ammo for function and accuracy in your pistol (they are all individual in their preferences) and buying a large quantity of the make and lot number of whatever you choose. It will pay to work with your dealer prior to testing to be sure you can get as many cases as you need of the whatever the chosen lot number is: it is very frustrating to spend many hours at the range with a sandbagged gun, finding a load your gun likes, then finding that you can’t get it in quantity.

CajunBass

My guns seem to shoot Federal/American Eagle better than anything. A couple of days ago I was shooting some Remington bulk pack stuff in my 22/45 and I figured I was having a bad day. Then I switched over to some Federal ammo, and started shooting the 10 ring out of the same targets.

Mannlicher

I too shoot a lot of the bargain basement, promotional stuff. For just plinking its fine. When I am in the woods for squirrels or rabbit though, my old Remington 521T bolt gun, and my Ruger 10/22 give good results with CCI Stingers and Mini Mags. For woods carry, I usually take a S&W 34 or 63. For some reason, the 34 does not like Stingers, but the 63 does. Both are 4 inch barrel revolvers.

Lavan

My ...target.... guns prefer CCI .....STANDARD..... velocity. Not everyone carries it, but it is worth looking for. The CCI boxes are nice in that the bullets are never dinged up.

My 9422.....loves..... bulk pak Remington HP. Shoots it tighter than ANY other ammo.

Maddog_Enigma

I've been shooting .22LR for 17 years.

I've owned a ton of guns in that caliber, from Ruger 10/22's to Marlins, to .22 AR-15 Conversions to semi-auto pistols and revolvers.

My all-time favorite round in .22LR is the Remington Viper Hyper-Velocity. If you must have hollow points, then the Remington Yellow Jacket is the HP version of the same round.

Outstanding performance and reasonable price.

Te Anau

My two favorite rounds are Remington golden bullets for the bulk stuff and Remington Yellow jackets for smaller boxes.

CrustyFN

They don't have to be HP. I am just trying to find something accurate. I also forgot to mention that I am shooting a pistol. I just bought a Ruger Mark III 5.5 inch bull barrel. Thanks for all of your help and information. I will try some of the lower velocity ammo and see if it helps. Thanks,
Rusty

Blammer

I carry a .22LR as a backup CCW

PPK clone, since I bought it for defence, it's sole loading has been the Aguila Hyper Velocity HP loading. Functions flawlessly and at bad breath ranges will 'discourage' an agressor - 2 or 4 legged. :p
For target work = SKJ or Wolf Match SV
For plinking = Winchester HV

Shooter 973

22 lr ammo.........

A couple of my favorite 22's shoot the Federal Lightnings better than anything else. It's sometimes a little tough to find in my area at reasonable prices but it is very good shooting ammo, for me. I do use a lot of the Federal Bulk pack 22's for most shooting, but the Lightnings will group better for some reason. I was shooting up some left over 22 shells yesterday in a small Phoenix 22 auto and could really feel a difference between the Federals, The Rem bulk packs and a few Win Wildcats one of my sons left in my pick-up. The federals seem a bit hotter, and more consistent. :) But I'll shoot them all......:rolleyes:

blume357

With a pistol, if you are shooting 50ft

I think just about any high end / good 22lr will work. I've found CCI to be the best and if you want to go the extra step.... their green tag will drive one hole...

maas

the buy in bulk and save stuff at walmart. one of these days they will sell the 22 reloading brass and i can cram some imr 4064 in it and top it with a 40 grn seirra match king. now that would be a 22 bullet:D

TheotherMikeG

Winchester Dynapoints are my favorite lr round, accurate in my Marlin 25n as well as my Ruger pistol. $10-11 per brick @ Walmart. A very popular round over at Rimfire Central.

Te Anau

Ive never tried those Dynapoints.......I think its because they arent copper washed,am I right? That usually means extra filth.:p