22 long rifle uppers for AR15's

TNT

Who makes the better one I seem complete uppers to just a few mod uppers and have been looking on the internet for one but not sure who makes the better product? And was hoping that those that have one could give me the good and bad reviews of them.

VUPDblue

I have a Spike's upper (among others) and I think it is one of the top dedicated platforms on the market. Another member here has a Keuhl upper and he is quite impressed with it too. All I can tell you is, based on my experience, Spike's would be my choice if I bought another. The Spike's unit takes Ciener mags and now with the availability of cheap(er) hi cap mags from BDM for the Ciener system, I think that is definitely the way to go.

AMX

Last I heard, Rick Keuhl stopped making .22 uppers. A Spikes upper might be your best bet now. Model 1 Sales is supposed to be selling a dedicated upper now but I don't know anything about them.

I have two .22 uppers. My KPF (Keuhl) upper works great. It's reliable and very accurate. My other one is just a Ciener kit with no gas tube and a 5.56 barrel. It works good with Ciener mags but it gags on BDM mags.
100_0465.jpg

VUPDblue

Here's the link to Spike's .22 page...

AMX-Have you tried the "skinny" and the full size BDM mags? My buddy's M16 doesn't like the skinny mags in AUTO, but the full size run very well.

AMX

VUPDblue- No sir, I have not tried the full size mags. I'm going to try to fix my skinny mags one of these days and if that don't work I'll probably just buy more Ciener 30's.

gfen

As someone in the market for a pair of .22 uppers, can someone please explain to me why they're seemingly so very expensive?

the problem i have with these waaaaaay over priced .22LR uppers is that they ALL still use that blasted Ciener conversion which requires the bullet to have to "jump" a non rifled gap.

i get 3" to 4" groups with the Ceiner kit and my old Colt SP-1 at 100 yds

rgitzlaff

Excellent topic, I have been looking at these myself lately. How accurate are these? I see conversion kits for a .223 upper, and I see dedicated uppers with .22lr barrels and the correct twist. What kind of accuracy can I expect from each? Thanks.

VUPDblue

the problem i have with these waaaaaay over priced .22LR uppers is that they ALL still use that blasted Ciener conversion which requires the bullet to have to "jump" a non rifled gap.

Not so with the Spike's unit. The barrel is custom made by Spikes and the only thing Ciener is the bolt. There is no chamber adapter to contend with, and as such there is no gap, as the chamber is machined into the barrel. The rifling continues all the way to the chamber which greatly improves accuracy. This also contributes to the price of the Spike's unit. Mine is only a 5" barrel, but accuracy is amazing. I am only running an Aimpoint, but I can cut a ragged hole in a target at 50yds all day long. I have been wanting to attach a scope to the thing just to see how tight I can keep things. Maybe one of these days....