.22 Kimber 1911

rptrower

For years I've wanted a .22 1911. While cleaning my shop a couple of weeks ago I noticed a spare .45 frame and more than enough Ed Brown parts to complete a receiver. I decided it was time to build my dream target pistol. In doing research I found that the Kimber conversion seemed to be the most reliable. I ordered it from Midway USA and picked it up the same day.

I installed a 18# main spring and did some sear & trigger work for a 3# trigger pull. The conversion slide fit my frame perfectly right out of the box. The conversion took 1 minute to install with no tools involved. There is very little play in the slide to frame fit, just enough to allow proper cycling of the slide. I would rate the fit & finish of the conversion as excellent.

After a complete cleaning & lubing I went to the range. I fired 50 rds each of CCI Mini-Mag, Winchester Super X & Remington Cyclone with 0 failures to feed, fire and eject. I even fired 20 rds of cheap Winchester bulk ammo with 0 failures. I believe the 18# MS helped with the lower powered ammo. The mags are easy to load and both mags fed flawlessly.

Accuracy is excellent! At 21' from a bench rest I can consistently punch out the bulls eye at dime size. Standing, firing off hand, I fired 2 to 3" groups. For me this pistol seems to be more accurate than my Ruger 22/45. Thats probably due to me shooting 1911s more than any other type of pistol.

If you enjoy shooting 1911s and want to save money on ammo, this kit is fantastic! This pistol is so much fun I never want to lay it down.
My only complaint,with my aged eyesight, I need to replace the front sight blade with a fiber optic sight.
KimberL.jpg

KimberR.jpg

David the Gnome

Be careful drifting out the sights if you do decide to change them. The aluminum that slide is made out of is very soft.

I've got my kit mounted on a Colt Lightweight Commander frame. It makes the whole gun super light. The only feature it lacks that I really wish it had was to hold open on the last round. I've read somewhere that there's a follower you can modify slightly and install that will give you that feature. I believe a fellow TFL member came up with it. Hopefully he'll chime in on this thread. :)

Ted

I have a 1911 Kimber .22 and you are right. A lot of fun shooting and at a very reasonable cost!

billnourse

I have a Kimber kit on my Pro Tatical Kimber. Works perfect except for not locking the slide on the last shot.

Bill