22 Hornet Reloading

jski

Are there any peculiarities to reloading the 22 Hornet? I noticed this on Brownell’s website for RCBS’s Hornet die set:
This 22 Hornet Two-Die Neck Die Set is for bottleneck cases to be fired in bolt-action rifles only—specifically, cases fired out of a specific rifle and neck-sized to go back into the same rifle. The set consists of a Neck Sizer Die with an Expander-Decapping Unit, and a Seater Die with Bullet Seater Plug. The Neck Sizer Die resizes the neck only (it doesn’t touch the shoulder or body) and de-primes. The included Seater Die has a built-in roll crimper to secure the bullet at the same time it’s seated.
This brass doesn’t suffer from thin case mouths like the 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, etc?

dahermit

Are there any peculiarities to reloading the 22 Hornet? I noticed this on Brownell’s website for RCBS’s Hornet die set:

This brass doesn’t suffer from thin case mouths like the 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, etc?
It is a little tricky to load...I have seen factory .22 Hornter rounds with snagged neck when they seated the bullet. I found success with Lee Collet die, 46 grain DBL HP Calhoon bullets over a load of Lil'Gun shot the best in my Browning B85 Low Wall.

jski

These are the powders that Hodgdon recommends for the Hornet:

CFE BLK
    H110
    H4198
    H4227
    IMR 4198
    IMR 4227
    Lil'Gun
    SR 4759
Quite a lengthy list!

Last edited:

jski

It is a little tricky to load...I have seen factory .22 Hornter rounds with snagged neck when they seated the bullet. I found success with Lee Collet die, 46 grain DBL HP Calhoon bullets over a load of Lil'Gun shot the best in my Browning B85 Low Wall.
I’m surprised with the high pressure levels the round is subjected to. 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, etc are low pressure cartridge. Evidently, one of the favorite powders for the Hornet is Hodgdon’s H110; hardly something that I’d expect to use with thin case wall brass!

ligonierbill

Speer used CCI 500 (yes, small pistol) primers, claiming lower peak pressure. I use those and have never had a problem. I do believe it is sensitive to the rifle. Loading for an old Savage 23D, which is rear locking, I have seen difficult extraction (not tight bolt - bolt lifts smoothly, but won't withdraw the case). I keep loads moderate with H110 and do well. Lil' Gun has tested better than H110 in some manuals, but it seems too hot in my rifle. Obviously, hotter loads work in more modern rifles, giving the old Hornet some new life. I like it, even in my old restricted Savage.

Scorch

Yes, the Hornet is notorious for thin necks and the damage associated with them. I used to lose about 10% of my cases during reloading. Lyman M expanders can give you a little help, but the necks crush very easily.
I’m surprised with the high pressure levels the round is subjected to.
22 Hornet is not a high pressure cartridge, only about 24,000 cup, about the same as 22 WMR.

jski

Yes, the Hornet is notorious for thin necks and the damage associated with them. I used to lose about 10% of my cases during reloading. Lyman M expanders can give you a little help, but the necks crush very easily.

22 Hornet is not a high pressure cartridge, only about 24,000 cup, about the same as 22 WMR.
This is from Hodgdon’s website:

Cartridge: 22 Hornet
Case: Winchester
Twist: 1:16.000"
Primer: Winchester SR, Small Rifle
Barrel Length: 24.000"
Trim Length: 1.393"

BULLET WEIGHT
45 GR. BAR XBT

Manufacturer Hodgdon
Powder H110
Bullet Diam. 0.224"
C.O.L 1.850"

Starting Load
Grs. 9.0
Vel. (ft/s) 2,323
Pressure 35,200 CUP

Maximum Load
Grs. 9.9
Vel. (ft/s) 2,503
Pressure 40,400 CUP

That’s high pressure to me.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
2400 also works in the Hornet, but peaks about 200fps slower than 296/H110.

I don't push the Hornet to top end speeds, I have other, bigger rounds for that.

Hanshi

For "maximum" power/accuracy I like H110 or 296. When I say "max" I am referring to factory level velocity or lower. I get groups well under 1" with these loads. H4227 and 2400 give excellent accuracy at 50 yards, but I've only used them at .22 mag velocities. I've killed several deer with my .22H Kimber of Oregon.

Velocities with H110/296 run a bit under 2700 fps. The midrange loads run about 1900 fps to 2000 fps.

I haven't had problems reloading the round but one does have to exercise a little more care than with larger cases.