.22 handguns illegal in MA???

Khornet

My sister has been shopping for her first handgun, and on my advice looking at .22 autos. She now tells me .22 handguns are ILLEGAL in Mass. !?!

Anyone ever hear of this? I can almost believe it...that's why I live in NH.

FPrice

I don't think that they are illegal per se, I believe that is is because many manufacturers have not bothered to get their .22s certified for the infamous Mass "list" (look at www.goal.org for more info).

I know I have seen the new Walther P99 in .22 (don't recall if it is actually a P99 or some other designation) for sale.

Where is she shopping for a gun? If she is around Boston I would suggest that she go to Four Seasons in Woburn (www.fsguns.com) unless she is intimidated by small tight crowded gun stores. Some good guys there, the only problem is that the place is crowded like you would not believe!

If she is someplace else, I am sure that we can find someone to recommend another place she can go for better advice.

M1911

FPrice is correct. .22 caliber handguns in general are not illegal. But most have not been certified for sale in MA and most competition models can't be so certified, because they won't pass the state mandated drop tests.

The only .22 caliber handguns that I'm aware are currently available in MA are S&W and Walther. I second the suggestion of Four Season's Firearms. Tell her to speak with Carl -- he's the owner and a very nice guy.

M1911

theberettaman

Isn't it ironic that S&W/Walther are the only ones on the list in Mass.Surely it couldn't have anything to do with that SELL-OUT thingy?Nawwwww!:D

M1911

Actually, no, it doesn't have anything to do with it. They're allowed to sell in MA because they've chosen to do the required testing. Other manufacturers of guns that would likely pass the tests have chose not to do them. Competition pistols like Pardini probably won't pass the drop test.

M1911

Smiley

I just checked the Mass FRB website of approved firearms for 2002 and they list every Ruger .22 including teh semi-autos.

I too am about to get a .22 plinker for use on my land in Mass and I was a little worried by this post so I checked it out. I will probably get a ruger semi

M1911

Smiley:

When you went to the FRB's web site, I assume that you read the following text on roster. It's in bold, all-caps, larger font:

TRANSFERS OF HANDGUNS ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE ATTORNEY
GENERAL’S HANDGUN SALES REGULATIONS; 940 C.M.R. 16.00 ET SEQ. FIREARMS ON THIS ROSTER DO NOT NECESSARILY COMPLY WITH THE
REQUIREMENTS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S HANDGUN SALES
REGULATIONS. INFORMATION ABOUT THOSE REGULATIONS CAN BE
OBTAINED FROM THE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND CAN BE
ACCESSED ON THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S WEBSITE;
WWW.AGO.STATE.MA.US.

Being on the roster is necessary but not sufficient. I believe the Ruger semi-autos are not currently being sold in MA. The MA AGs regs require that semi-autos have either a chamber-loaded indicator or a magazine safety. I don't believe the ruger semi-autos have either of those.

M1911