.22 failure to fire?

Peachy

Who has actually experienced a .22 rimfire failing to fire?

I mean, using QUALITY ammo with a QUALITY firearm, who has experienced a failure to fire?

I'm wondering if the reputation for .22 loads failing to fire might be overstated. Is this really a concern with modern, quality ammo?

Peachy

Mike38

This is really a good point. When using QUALITY ammo with a QUALITY firearm, my failure to fire rate would probably be around 1 in 1000.

overkill0084

I've had a few. 1 per 1000 seems like a good average. I shoot CCI products for the most part. Rimfires are more prone to it. I've seen failure to fires with Eley Tenex, so spending a a bunch on ammo will not make you immune.

BerettaBuckeye

I don't know what "quality ammo" means to you but I get maybe 1 or 2 out of a few hundred rounds fired in a session. That's using a .22 conversion on a Beretta 92, a Single Six, a Beretta Neos, a Ruger MKIII, a 1022 and a Remington 597. I buy whatever is is sale at Gander Mountain as far as ammo goes, I think I'm currently working my way through a couple bricks of Remington. Something in a green box maybe. I personally don't think misfires with 22lr is overstated but because all my 22's are either for plinking or hunting squirrel I really don't worry about it. It's not like I would ever consider a 22 for personal defense

44 AMP

Staff
I have experienced it. Although with "quality" ammo it is rare. But it does happen. Expect it, and deal with it. It is much more common with the "budget" ammo.

The method of priming the rimfire case is that the primer compound, as a liquid, is dropped into the case, and the case is spun, to distribute it around the rim. This works rather well, but once in a while, there are spots in the rim where the primer compound does not get into, or get enough into. And, when things line up just right that spot is under the firing pin. So, you get a misfire.

It is exceedingly rare for a misfired round to not fire when replaced in the chamber so that a different part of the rim is under the firing pin.

Considering that the .22LR is the most produced and used round on the planet, overall, quality control is pretty good.

I read back in the 70s, that the US consumed a billion rounds of .22LR per year. Add up all the misfires all of us have experienced over the years, and then add in all that we have ever heard of, and a generous figure for all those that we never hear of, and it is still an insignificant number compared to the amount of rounds fired.

Of course, when it happens to you, it's not insignificant, now is it?

Sometimes, the "failure" of the rounds is not the fault of the ammo, but rather the gun. And, it can happen with "quality" guns as well as "bargin" ones. I once saw a friend's S&W Model 41 (generally considered a "quality" arm) suffer repeated misfires with some CCI Blazer ammo. That same ammo, including all the rounds that failed to fire in the S&W fired through a Ruger Mk I, and a Browning Challenger without any failures of any kind. Match ammo and some other brands on hand all fired through the S&W just fine that day. Neither the gun, nor the ammo was at fault, exactly. Rather the combination of the two was just enough to give trouble.

Some combinations of gun and ammo simply do not work well. With the .22LR this is more pronounced than with centerfire cartridges.

30-30remchester

Today alone I fired 150 rounds of Remington golden bullets from 2 firearms. One was a Smith & Wesson model 34 and the other gun was a Colt Woodsman. I have had bad luck with these Remingtons, so I am keeping records on this box of 550 rounds. So far after 150 rounds fired I have had 11 failures to fire and 2 squib loads. I will post a final report after all rounds have been fired.

chasep255

Can't say it is the most reliable cartridge compared to most centerfire. However, it seems that .22s are mass produced and are of much less quality than centerfire cartridges. My neighbor has a Browning Buckmark .22 which maybe fails to soot 1-2 out of every 100 CCI standard velocity. It also jams up a bit more often which is maybe because she never cleans it. I have never had a misfire in my 10/22.

L_Killkenny

My top 3 choices are federal 550 bulk, CCI Mini-mag and CCI Velocitor. With 550 bulk I'd have to say 1 in 100, maybe 200. With Mini-Mags it has to be more like 1 in 1000 even though I can't remember when the last time was. And with Velocitor I've never had a FTF but to qualify that we've only shot a couple of bricks tops. I also can't remember the last time I had a FTE using CCI ammo.

Guns used are Ruger 10/22's (multiple), Ruger 22/45s (2) and a couple older bolt guns.

LK

Peachy

Thanks...

Some good replies. By quality ammo, I ment something in the CCI mini-mags, stingers, etc. price range.

I'v never had a failure to fire using Ruger 10/22 or Ruger Mark III. I did have a couple weak sounding reports with the super cheap k-mart/walmart brick stuff.

Peachy

Blackshirts

The FTF rate for "quality" ammo is really pointless. I usually only get 5-10 out of 1000 Fed. Champion and 2-5 of 1000 Fed. Lightning. Even taking a perfect 1000 rounds of CCI Stinger the enormous cost offset between $1.47 for a 50 box of Fed Lightning and $4.97 for a 50 box of CCI Stinger isn't worth it to me to keep from having maybe 10 FTF. Unless you are using a single shot rifle it takes about a second to work the action and have the next round ready to go. And usually you can plug the round right back it and it will fire so you aren't "losing" a round. You still fire all 1000 rounds.

Bamashooter

Not with quality ammo but I had alot of failure to fire in a couple of boxes of bulk remington. I dont buy it anymore. I have excellent luck with cci and federal. Mostly just buy cci now it has been great ammo.

Define "quality" ammo.

I'm working through a couple of bricks of Remington Thunderbolt. Remington is a reputable brand, but their Thunderbolt .22LR has a reputation for duds, and my experience has been that each box of fifty rounds generally contains at least two or three dud rounds.

chris in va

Doesn't matter what brand I use, there's always a 'dud' in the mix. Most of the time I can just rotate and strike again.

Word of caution. Do *not* put a dud round back in the tube of a Henry lever action. The flattened pin strike area jams it in the tube, a real nightmare to get out.

arcticap

With it understood that bolt action rifles are less problematic than semi-auto pistols, if firing quality ammo. from a quality .22 rifle then there's a good chance that there won't be any misfires in an entire case of 5000.

J2.

I have had only one fail, good modern .22 ammo, and I'll never forget.
While plinking with friends in a quarry. My single shot misfired, the first time it ever happened. I slid the bolt back and the round did not eject so I had another crack at it. Same thing.
Now I pull the bolt back and try to remove the dead round, some how the bolt slips and coo-boom! I thought my life was over! At the very least I figured my eye was gone. But when I opened them I was fine. The good Lord was working over time that day, all I got was skeerd. I was just a kid then and a well lesson learned. My children will never make that mistake!!!

Slamfire

Rim thickness can vary widely in rimfires and it is critical for proper ignition. If it is too thin than the firing pin has a hard time hitting it.

I have had misfires with .22LR ammo, much more than centerfires. About December 09 I was shooting match ammo in my CMP Kimber during a small bore match. It was cold and the Kimber firing pin strike might have been weak as I was getting misfires. It took a couple of bolt lifts to get the occasional round to shoot. I have never had that problem with my Anschutz, M52D with the same ammo.

Anyway I took the Kimber bolt apart and increased the firing pin protrusion. Unfortunately the mainspring is different from the replacement Wolff makes.

Still in warmer weather I shot the rifle with the same ammunition and all rounds went bang.

DSCN0471Lefthandthread.jpg

DSCN0463Boltdisassembled.jpg