22 DA Revolvers

thebucket

I've been searching and searching for an inexpensive(~300) but decent DA .22 lr revolver.

I've looked at Taurus Model 94's and found they all had a near impossible to cock hammer in SA and impossible to use in DA. This may be correctable with a little work, but also about half the reviews and posts I've read about the gun are negative (the other half is positive). I'm not very confident about the Taurus 94.

I've also heard the Comanche 22 revolver mentioned but know nothing about it. Is it a decent shooter for plinking and shooting fun? Are there any inexpensive, decent 22 DA's out there at all?

If there aren't any out there, I've been considering a Single Six or a Bearcat or a semi-auto. Of course, I may get a Single Six anyway so I have interchangeable cylinders for 22LR and 22WMR.

All help is appreciated.

Sir William

I am currently mulling over a S&W M48 used. I own a older H&R 22 DA. Who doesn't in their 50s? The 22 double action revolver is a bit difficult to find. Good Colt Diamondbacks are out there used. The Ruger SP-101 with a 3" barrel is an excellent 22 DA. The Commanche is not the best 22 DA available, they need work to function right from the box. Their trigger reset spring needs tweaking too. I see used Taurus 94/941s for $150.00 locally. I have tried full size Uberti single actions with 22 inserts. They are not worth buying for accuracy. Ruger, Uberti, Freedom Arms and other relabeled imports are decent single action 22 choices. There really are not many new double action 22 choices.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Shop for a used S&W 17 . IT's all the .22 revolver you'll ever want and can be had in the $300 range if your patient.

magsnubby

I wouldn't recommend the Taurus 94 for D/A shooting. Mine has what feels like a 25 lb trigger pull. S/A isn't to bad. Accuracy is good.

Buying used is always an option. Look for a S&W K frame or a J frame kit gun. A Colt Diamondback would be really sweet although they're starting to get a bit pricey. Like the man said, there isn't a lot of new D/A .22's to choose from.

SnWnMe

Old Colts are nice if you can swing the $$$. But you can get the same quality and reliability from a vintage K-22 or M-17 and they're easier to tweak.

Irishmtnmn2001

How about a nice Ruger SP in stainless? I have had timing problems with some of my older S&W .22's. Lots of configurations in the Ruger are available. I guess the drawback would be alot of them have fixed sights and they are a bit heavy but very reliable and pretty accurate.

gundog98k

Dan Wesson

If you don't mess with your guns mechanically, try the Dan Wesson. Parts can be a pain to find but I bought my daughter an 8" vent heavy barrell for competition for $250 and it came in the original box with all tools. I doubt it had been shot more than 20 rounds. And it is ACCURATE! :)

spalit

I just got the S&W 617, 10 shot - some people don't seem to like the DA action for the 10-shot. I like the DA pull just fine, feels like 12lbs or so, and the factory SA is just as crisp as my 686P+. It was a bit pricey, $480, but i just had to get it as soon as I hefted it in my hand :D :D

Redwood

Save you $$$, get a Colt Diamondback & never look back... You will not regret it... (just my .02cents worth...)

Jeff22

Or try KY Imports or one of those places and look for a used S&W 18 (4 inch K frame .22 combat masterpiece). I bought one slightly used in about 1982 or so to use as a practice gun because I was carrying a S&W 15 as a duty gun at the time. I still have it, and it has just an AWESOME double action trigger. Better than sex.