22 Caliber Centerfire ?

LoneStar

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a "Cliff Notes" summary of a couple of 22 caliber Centerfire cartriges. I'd like to get a light centerfire rifle to be primarily used for turkey and varmints (racoons mostly). For this rifle, I'll be going with a good solid bolt action, probably a Rem 700 BDL, and of course a Leupold on top. I'm not sure what the differences between 22-250, .223. and .222 are. Advantages / disadvantages ?

As Always, your help is deeply appreciated!
-L

Mikey

LoneStar,

22-250 - probably the most popular and versatile 22 centerfire ever! Great accuracy and good barrel life but with enough velocity to be effective to 400+ yards. Rivaled only by the .243 as an ultra-long range varminter. Ammo is readily available in a vast array of configurations.

.223 - Obviuosly ammo is plentiful since it is the current US military round. Reloading components are lying on the ground at most ranges. VERY accurate when handloaded or with premium ammo. Effective range is limited to about 300 yards max with varmint weight bullets.

.222 - SUPREME accuracy - the QUEEN of the 22 centerfires! It's a shame that the .222 is waning in popularity but effective range limitations in the 200-250 yard area have cost the little cartridge in todays "High-velocity" climate. Factory ammo selection is limited but handloaders can shoot them forever since the low intensity cartridge is easy on brass.

For your primary application, turkey and coon, the .222 would do the job in spades. If you handload and like to have something a little different from everybody else, this is your ticket.

If you want to get the ultra-long range benefit for double duty on prarie dogs or groundhogs, it's the 22-250.

Me? I like the .223! Hell, I can barely see 400 yards much less shoot a squirrel that far. Practice ammo is cheap and you can handload stuff that will shoot sub 1/2MOA.

Mikey

Mal H

Staff
Mikey's assessments are right on target, so to speak. One factor to consider is whether you handload currently or ever plan to get into handloading. If so, then an excellent choice would be the 22-250. You can load this cartridge on the light side and have the equivalent of the .223 or .222 or you can load it to the max and you will approach the .22 Swift. Accuracy is excellent, you can use the same bullets as in any of the others, and the rifle will cost exactly the same.

LoneStar

Thanks Guys!

I got off my lazy butt and did a little research myself. I do PLAN to reload, but I can't afford the hobbies I've already got. Anyway, It looks like the 22-250 is the way to go here. Speed, accuracy, and the ability to tweak it (whenever I get a reloading press & goodies).

Now, I just got to figure out how to get it in the house....

Mikey

LoneStar,

Pick one of your other rifles that looks a lot like the new one - let you wife see you put it in a gun case and tell her you are FINALLY going to have the local gunsmith tear it down and give it a "proper" cleaning. Then when you bring in the new one you pull it out of the case and exclaim..."look here, honey, he made it look brand new again!"

By the way, the more guns you own, the easier it is to get away with this kind of crap...

Mikey