.22 cal Sig and Walther

PolarFBear

Dilemma: Bought a Walther and Sig Sauer 22 cal before the great dearth of 22 caliber fell upon us. High Powered 22 was readily available; now not so much (none in my area). What have other posters done with finicky 22's that need Stinger type ammo? Can the recoil springs be changed to a lighter unit? Neither of my pop-guns operate worth a hoot with the low powered stuff available. Thanks.

AK103K

I had both those guns, and used Winchester Super X in both, with no troubles. Thats basically all I shot in them, as I had a bunch of it.

I think it was the SIG that came with two recoil springs, and mine had the "lighter" (I think it had white paint on it) installed in the gun when got it, and I never swapped it out the whole time I had it.

I dont remember the Walther having the second spring, but I could be wrong.

Chris_B

I have a ...2002... production P22 if memory serves, original case and all accessories. No extra spring. I'm not sure I'd want a lighter spring. The slide is not very robust, being Zamak.

KSDeputy

.22lr Ammunition

I have had very good luck getting .22lr ammo at Walmart but it takes work. Each store sets the time that they sell ammo from last night's truck, usually 0700 or 0800. There is a limit of three boxes no matter what size the box is. One day I got 3 CCI Mini Mag 100 round hollow point boxes. Another time 975 rounds of Remington. Twice I got 300 rounds of Federal match. Once I got 1,000 round box. I was in line with two other guys. First guy took two boxes, left one box for each of us behind him. I do not buy any 50 round boxes unless it is hot ammo. I got 3 boxes of 1275 fps ammo once. Make friends with the manager of the sporting goods dept. Sometimes they will tell you a day ahead of time what is coming on the next days truck.

Blindstitch

22 is starting to come back pretty good now so just look out for it. I was at a Cabelas just outside of Chicago 2 weeks ago and they had a shelving unit 6 foot tall x 6 wide with maybe 5 shelves completely packed with Remington, Winchester and CCI bulk packs.

Although not the same my Ruger SR22p hates CCI Stingers and turns every 8th one into a banana and unusable. In fact the Stingers would fall weird and get stuck in both magazines. Most useless ammo I ever ran in it.

Ibmikey

The supply of .22 lr is slowly getting better but the price has remained astronomical...$50 bucks for a brick is more than i am willing to pay, fortunately i have sufficient reserves to outlast current prices even though my list of .22's is getting longer and i am shooting more often. I feel sad when someone wants to purchase a .22 for his kid (rifles are always on sale these days) but the store cannot provide even one box of ammo with it. I have given more than a few bricks to Boy Scout and Hunter Safety programs to aid in their training.
My favorite shooter at this time is the Compact M&P .22, it is the best ergonomically that i have held and will settle right back on target without effort. Mine will eate anything, standard, high velocity or mini mag/ stinger types. My buddy has a suppressor on his and you don't even need muffs to shoot a critter in his traps (subsonic low velocity works action just fine).

Last edited: