22 blank revolver

RsqVet

Hi guys--

Wanted to get some opinions regarding a suitable revolver for firing 22 blank rounds for conditioning my dog to the sound of gunfire --- not for hunting, for self defense if ever need be --- I'm intersted in 22 blank because it's the one that is common as water out there, and that matters somewhat as I don't reload otherwise I'd have a host of plaforms to use --- I have loked at blank guns and can't bring myself to spend 30-40 bucks on a hunk of pot metal from overseas, AZ is open carry and I have my CCW so it's not like it's an issue to carry a real gun and hey it's as good of an excuse as any to buy a gun and it's not like a 22 is gona break the bank.

Since I want it for blanks it's obviously a wheel gun I'll be buying

Options unser consideration:

1. for me would be a ruger SP101 in 22, I am told they were offered, just like the 9mm and 32 Sp101, lots of luck finding one

2. Ruger Bearcat --- not much of a single action man myself but for this use it hardlly matters though double action woudl be better as it's easier to work one handed and I'll have a lead in my other hand, and I like the lines, size and quaility of the bearcat, the rollmarks on the cyliner annoy the heck out of me as I personally can not stand any "stock" engraving on a gun, it's just me and hardly a functional argument. Also might be good for when my son starts shooting but then I'd planed to buy a semi-auto 22 at that point as well.

3. The NAA min revolver --- I've always viewed as more a curiosity than anythng else but always at the back of my mind kind of wanted one anyway, for this use I worry about it being too small to index and work well one handed in a safe manner when the other hand is busy doing other things

4. Some form of smith J frame --- currently they are only selling these in alloy which I would not like as I hate alloy not just for durability which is largely a moot point in 22 but for the fact I may tinker / finish / re-inish the gun and that's a lot easier with steel or stainless than alloy I'm lock opposed but for this use it's obvoisuly not an issue.

5. Some Tarus? All I could find was alloy as well. (yeah I;d buy a tarus for this as well)

Any other thoughts???

RsqVet

Ended up buying the bearcat, of all the things I looked at it was the best made, easy to work, cheap (relative) and has utility beyond simply fiering blanks (obviously)

Now if only soneone made a ejector housing for this thing that was not alunimim --- oh well nothing is perfect.

UniversalFrost

cabelas and basspro shops

I got my blank revolver from cabelas with a kit that was made specifically for dog training. The only problem you will run into when training with blanks is that they are nothing like the sound of a shotgun blast. After training my dog for the entire spring and summer with a 22 blank pistol he was used to the noise, but when he heard the 12 ga. on opening day of pheasant season he **** himslef (literally) and didn't come near me. He eventually got used to the noise. I later bought a 410/45LC break open single shot pistol (not the derringers that are cheap and crappy) and used 410 shells to train the newest lab I got. Had no problems come last pheasant season with gun shyness. Happy hunting.

Vilkata

I wonder - would carrying a blank-only firing revolver without a Conceal Carry Permit be legal?

I read somewhere that in a lot of cases, simply brandishing a gun for the perp to see can persuade him to give up or flee. And if you could get nice loud blanks, firing "a shot" over his head might do even better. But would conceal carrying a revolver that could /only/ fire blanks be considered illegally carrying a "firearm"?

Just some curiosity. (This idea isn't for me, but it might be applicable to some peoples situations.)

---Vil.

CajunBass

I wonder - would carrying a blank-only firing revolver without a Conceal Carry Permit be legal?

I read somewhere that in a lot of cases, simply brandishing a gun for the perp to see can persuade him to give up or flee. And if you could get nice loud blanks, firing "a shot" over his head might do even better. But would conceal carrying a revolver that could /only/ fire blanks be considered illegally carrying a "firearm"?

Just some curiosity. (This idea isn't for me, but it might be applicable to some peoples situations.)

That sounds like a good way to get yourself killed.

miscusi

well, not in new york city it isnt, theres a charge called something like branishing a firearm which the item just had to look like one and not be one for you to be found guilty.

anyway, blank gun vs bad guy is not a good idea, what if the bg is armed and returned fire ?

Maybe one should upon confrontation of a bg, quickly dive behind cover and fire a few shots, which would make the bg dive behind cover and fire live rounds at you, which then at least you got cover, and the bg wont be approaching anytime soon,

hopefully you have enough blanks to keep this act up until they leave or or run out of ammo or the police arrive. :D

RsqVet

It's getting them use to the sudden sharp noise -- one probibly could put plugs in their ears if you were really worried about it, and in general hunting dogs I have seen have appeared to suffer no ill effects, like others have said 22 blank is nothing like a 12 ga and it's deconditioning followed by occasonal exposure.

Vil ---- wise men do not point unloaded or blank guns at others, if they call your bluff you are in deep, not to mention while carrying a blank revolver may not be explicitly illegal if you are in a suit in a city it's going to raise eyebrows of anyone in LE and offten the statutes that exempt blank guns, flare pistols and so forth in state laws include a clause "when afield" or "when on the water" or that they will be treated as a firearm if used in a crime, plus cities and municipliteis may have thier own rules, obviously fromthe fedral standpoint it's a non issue but local laws and state laws are offten much more specific and restrictive.

Not to mention there is no such thing as a warining shot in the use of deadly force and stupid as it sounds if you pulled a blank gun on a perp in a situation that was ruled unjustified for use of deadly force and the perp had a heart attack and died then you would / could be responsible cival and criminal --- same deal as if you walked into a bank to withdraw money using a blank gun --- guy on other side does not know it so it's a threat of force (dedly) and you are still comitting armed robbery --- so in general carry legal, use it only when the situation warrants it, and if the situation does they you are shooting to stop the threat, no warning shots, no brandishing, no shootign to kill --- stop the threat, death may result but is not the goal.

Others may chime in on more of the legal aspects as well..

deadin

I noticed in the Federal regs a "starter" gun is classified as a firearm. What's the difference between a starter gun and a blank pistol? Or are they talking about the old cartridge starting device that was used on aircraft engines ages ago?

Dean

RsqVet

Don't know what the fed regs were refering to, there are non-projectile firing 22 blank guns that are not firearms, I own a 10 ga blank firing winchester cannon that is a non firearm apararently by virture of the chamering and breach strength i.e. putting a live 10 ga shell in it would result in the cannon and possibly your death, plus certain other devices are clased as Tool, not gun such as the Coda line throwing gun that uses 308 blanks on a modified bolt action as well as the coda net gun that is the same thing --- I'm guessing that some of ATF's determination in the case of the coda products revolves around the less than likley idea of a BG buying a 2-4,000 dollar device and then havign the technical ability to turn it into a live 308 rifle, obviously it could be done but not very likely.

deadin

TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II
PART 478.11- Definitions

Firearm. Any weapon, including a
starter gun, which will or is designed to or
may readily be converted to expel a projectile
by the action of an explosive; the
frame or receiver of any such weapon; any
firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any
destructive device; but the term shall not
include an antique firearm. In the case of a
licensed collector, the term shall mean
only curios and relics.

I would guess that the "may readily be converted" bit takes most of them off the list. I was just curious why a starter gun was mentioned at all.

Dean

Russ5924

To train your dog properly (AS A PUPPY DON"T WAIT UNTIL OLDER)start out with the .22 blank at some distance as he get used to it work up till you can shoot over him.Then start with the Shotgun the same way if seems to bother him back off and start again.There are more good dogs ruined from being gun shy. No matter if he is used to the .22 don't shoot a shotgun over him till properly trained. I would normally shoot when the dog found something that got is attention and wasn't looking at you, when he gets to the point is won't even bother looking up anymore move in closer:)