22 and 22 mag ammo shortages in SE Okla?

ryalred

The Wal-marts in several stores in SE Oklahoma are out of stock or nearly out of all .22 Mag ammo in particular. My friend bought the last two boxes at one store for $14.00 per box (normally they run around $7.50 per box). Two other Wal-marts said they didn't know when they were going to get more in. They also were running low on many brands of 22LR ammo. What is going on? Is there a real shortage on ammo and reloading supplies, or are people just hording, motivated by some irrational fear? I'm resisting the urge to buy ammo and reloading supplies at twice the normal costs, but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to get in on the stockpiling? How is it like where you are and what do you think is really going on?

Paochow

Yup, most of the dealers in my area are short or out of the typical calibers. Online dealers may have .223 or 9mm in stock for a few hours, but it goes fast:eek:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I was talking to a guy last night about buying ammo. He finally admitted he'd stocked up on .22 ammo beyond what he'll shoot in the rest of his lifetime. He's not really sure exactly why...

I imagine a lot of folks are doing that same thing.

sholling

Except for a few isolated spots the shortage is nation wide. Almost all popular calibers from 22LR to 30-06 are sold out.

I know that 2,000 rounds of .22LR doesn't take up much space, or seem like a lot, but that's what I bought over the past month. I'm not sure why. I don't even own a functioning 22 firearm. I have a Ruger 10/22 with messed up sights that can not be shot with any hope of hitting the target. At some point, I'll figure out what's wrong with the scope mounting strip and get some type of rifle scope for it, maybe a cheapie red dot. But for now, I've got more 22LR ammo than I've fired in the past 30 years combined.

22-rimfire

I would suggest you buy it when you find it. The shortage seems to be lessening in some areas per my read of the various ammo shortage threads.

I have a fair amount of ammo on hand. Don't own a 22WMR. Plan on buying one unless someone comes out with a new 5mm rifle which is what I really want.

Dave R

Here in Idaho there is only one place with regular .22 ammo. A few other places have high-priced target ammo, but that's it. .22 is in very short supply here.

levrluvr

No shortage of .22 or .22wmr here. I have bought quite a bit since the middle of last year, I just buy a little each time I'm at the store. I'm only buying because I think it's quite likely to continue to increase in price or get a healthy tax attached. I shoot quite a bit, so I rotate stock. I reload centerfire, and have plenty of components from purchases early last year.

All of the .22wmr is around $10.99 or less except for the Remington 33gr. It sells for $13.99, and I'm willing to pay that since my 882ss seems to love the stuff. I can buy Fiocchi for $5.99. My favorite is the original Win SuperX 40gr, and it sells for $7.99. I'd love to try the RWS wmr, but it's not available locally, and is $26+/50 online. I find that a little too much for ANY rimfire.

I don't buy ammo (or anything else) at WalMart, so I don't have any idea what kind of stock they have.

stonedog406

Very difficult to locate here as well, and when you do, it seems like it has doubled in price. I think the 22 shortage is secondary effect to the other calibers. People who enjoy shooting are realizing that practicing in their favorite caliber may be expensive compared to that of a 22. "Well since my 223 is hard to find and expensive, I might as well shoot the 10/22 with some cheaper ammo"????