22 ammo ?

NoSecondBest

To the best of my knowledge, the .22 Rem Special and the .22WRF are the same cartridge with a different bullet profile. They are interchangeable. The .22WRM is a longer/lengthened cartridge than either of those and is not interchangeable.

The .22 Winchester Rimfire has a case diameter that's larger than the bullet diameter. The base of the bullet is the same .224" as the nominal diameter of the bullet. The outside diameter of the case is .242".

The .22 Long Rifle uses a "heeled" bullet, meaning the base of the bullet (the part that fits inside the case) is reduced in diameter so the outside diameter of the case is the same as the outside diameter of the [exposed portion of the] bullet.

The .22 WRF is the parent cartridge for the .22 Winchester Magnum. .22 WRF can be fired in revolvers chambered for .22 Magnum, but .22 WRF won't fit in firearms chambered for .22 LR.

Don't overlook the .22 Winchester Rimfire Automatic. It's a cartridge that Winchester designed specifically for their then-new Model 1903 semi-automatic carbine, and no other firearm has ever been chambered for it. It's about the same size as the .22 Long Rifle (or the .22 Long), but looks more like the .22 WRF. It's different from the .22 Long, the .22 LR, the .22 WRF, and the .22 WMR.

If you're curious, Wikipedia actually has decent write-ups on all of them.

TailGator

Since no one has said it yet, I will add that .22LR is not safe to fire in anything chambered for magnum. They will fit, but they have enough room for the case to split (see AB's explanation of relative diameters), with undesirable outcomes.

Jim Watson

Hey, AB, don't forget the .22 Remington Automatic. Not the same as the Winchester round, or anything else.

The purpose of these early dedicated Automatic cartridges was to keep still common black powder S,L, LR out of the autos.

Jim Watson said:
The purpose of these early dedicated Automatic cartridges was to keep still common black powder S,L, LR out of the autos.
Actually, Jim, just the opposite. .22 Short and Long would go into a firearm chambered for .22 WRA (although it might not feed well in a semi-automatic ... but the 1903 became the 1963 when it was rechambered for .22 LR). The real purpose was to prevent chambering and firing the more powerful smokeless powder cartridges in older firearms made for black powder.

Jim Watson

A LR will go in a WRM, too, but it is not good practice.

The Model 63 (not 1963) and the Model 61 pump were so strong that they had to tone down the Super X and Super Speed .22 LR for use in lesser guns.
I doubt the 1903 was any less stout. Frank DeHaas converted one to .22 WRM so as to start with a .224" barrel.

I have read of the Remington getting by with .22 Long, but a 1903 is orphaned.

The Model 1903 is orphaned, and so is the .22 Winchester Rimfire Automatic cartridge. For a good many years it was impossible to buy that ammo. Now, Aguila [no relation] does an occasional run of it, so it is available. But you have to really want to shoot your 1903 -- last time I saw it, the Aguila was selling for $18 per box of fifty.

Pricey but, if you have the gun and want to shoot it, beggars can't be choosers. Ya gotta pay to play.