22-45 reassembly ...HELP !!

John D

OK, I'm not stupid, un-mechanical, or new to guns. I've searched every forum, post, etc. to help me explain the process of reassembling my Ruger! I've had problems in the past and had a great page saved from OnTargetGuns, but apparently that site is not longer working.

Here's the problem. I pull the trigger to get the hammer flat; I put the barrel back on the frame; insert the bolt, turn the gun upside down to pull the trigger and get the hammer to be uncocked; I then put the swing the mainspring thing through the hole and lock it into place.

When I pull back the bolt, the pistol doesn't cock. I'm sure it has to do with the "dangle thingy", although no one has clearly explained where that should be when I insert the mainspring thing.

I'm BEGGING..........explain this to me like I'm a 4th grader !!!!

HeroHog

Roll over to rimfirecentral dot com to the 22/45 forum here: http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211
They can help ya and there is a link there to a great on-line video that will lay it all out for you and it helps SO much!

Looks like someone got it in before me. The post above links to the one I was talking about and others as well. Still, for the 22/45, this site is the home for them.

GunsAreGood

If you have the owners manual pull it out and read very carefully and go slow step by step following the instructions to the T and you will be just fine.

LukeA

As shown in the linked video, you have to point the barrel of the gun straight up to get the hammer spur to seat right. I mean really straight, because there's some lateral play that can jam the spur right next to where it's supposed to go.

darkgael

yep

pull the trigger and get the hammer to be uncocked; I then put the swing the mainspring thing through the hole and lock it into place.
You are missing a step there.
As noted in the previous post, once the bolt is in, hold it in with your thumb, the gun must be rotated muzzle to vertical. This allows the hammer to fall back and the hammer spur to hang free. Then when you insert the mainspring assembly, the hammer strut can seat properly in the depression that you see on the top of the mainspring housing. As you swing the housing in to close, you can feel the strut seat.
Pete

John D

Thanks, darkgael ! Catching the hammer strut was the problem...it must have been getting bypassed. That's the "4th grade" instruction I needed !!

guncrank

Don't worry I had a customer bring me .22/45 that another
"certified gunsmith" tell him he had to send gun back to Ruger when he had same problem.
I showed him and he had some not so nice words for the parts changer.
True story.
CEW