22/45 it is!

Selfdfenz

First, to all that responded to my recent post on the 22/45 versus Buckmark thanks.

After owning several MK IIs and not ever having felt I shot any of them well, low and behold I wound up walking out with a 22/45. Dang that Ruger Company.
Went to the range today and gave her a whirl with a few kinds of ammo. Nary a problem with chambering, ejecting etc. All ran fine and some of the ammo was very old and frankly pretty crappy. Hope I can say crappy.

I do like the grip angle better than the MKII. I like the controls and where they are located.

OTOH, the trigger is probably the worst (no it is the worst) trigger I very had on a Ruger 22.
Heavy, heavy, heavy. Don’t have a trigger pull gauge but its heavy.
Any suggestions on smoothing this thing out and or reducing the pull would be appreciated.

When I stripped the gun down for the “new gun cleaning” prior to going to the range I really gave the surfaces of the trigger group that bear on one another a close look. They looked ok visually. I wonder if polishing (rouge, buffer wheel, Drimmel) these surfaces would be sufficient to eliminate the problem. I never had to do a thing to any of my MKII triggers as they seemed fine right from the factory.
Anyone experience this issue with a new 22/45.

Take care,
S-

Hal

First off congrats on the .22/45. I tried my darndset to wear one out by shooting over 35K rounds through it in close to 2 years. It hardly ever missed a beat, and when it did, it was no doubt due to the cheap Remington Thunderbolts I used.
Don't fret about the trigger or try to clean it up. the action of the steel against the softer polymer frame will take care of all that for you in about 1000 rounds.

If you want to make it smoother and get some of the grit out of it for those firs 1000 shots, use a combination of either Tetra grease(easier to find) or DSX grease (harder to find and twice the price,,,but worth every penny of it since it goes three times further--great stuff) AND a drop of light oil like Rem-oil on the trigger disconnect where it rubs against the frame, and on the hammer where it contacts the sear(?)(I think sear is the correct term). You can work the trigger for a few hours while you watch TV with the reciever off. Use the same combo of grease/drop of oil on the bottom of the bolt where it hits the hammer, the breech face, the outside of the bolt and a tiny tiny tiny bit in the chamber. Let it in the chamber for 1/2 hour then clean it out with a dry patch. It works wonders to reduce fouling. That's the exact treatment I gave both my .22/45's. Both because I liked the first one so well I bought another one just like it. The second one is only going on a couple thousand rounds and is really stiff compared to the first. Honestly, i think the first one is just broken in at 35K rounds.
Enjoy! Mine is accurate as all get out. Spent .45acp cases at 30 feet are doable as targets shooting off hand.

Selfdfenz

Thanks for the advice.
I'll be in the hardware store in the morning and see if they carry those products.

Actually that is exactly the like of "gunsmithing" I like to do. Something I'm not liable to break.

I already like this little pistol a great deal. Even with the trigger as it is and the questionable quality of the ammo I was able to shoot some fairly decent groups (more that one in the same hole, touching holes etc) and I shot some ****erbolts in it too.

I have a gunshop near by that sells a wide selection of 22 ammo. Guess where I'll be at lunch.

Thanks again.
S-

Blackhawk

Congratulations! :D

I haven't owned a .22 for way too many years, but I'll be surprised if you notice much if any difference in ammo.

JohnKSa

Administrator
A perhaps not so well known fact...

All of the newer (and some of the older) Ruger MkII pistols have an over travel adjustment on the trigger.

You have to completely remove the trigger blade to see it, but it's there--a tiny allen set screw that can have no other earthly purpose.

If you grease the trigger linkage and adjust the overtravel properly and still don't like what you feel, cut a single turn off the trigger return spring. (Its the spring underneath the plunger on the top of the trigger.) Seems like they're making those springs heavier all the time. Still, try the other first--I've done it on 3 Mk II pistols and one 22/45 and the difference was spectacular.

sm

Congrats! Great shooters, I have the 4", target, plink and some squirrels, rabbits and other small game "have run in front of the bullets":p

Trigger, mine was good, gunsmith/friend took it out back and shot it- next thing I knew he had "tweaked the trigger"--oh well my turn to buy lunch.

Hunting I use the Winchester powerpoints, for a solid I have always had great results with the X22lr (plinking and hunting). General fun and plinking I have used the Federal bulk #750 (36 gr, cp hp). These loads feed well, accurate and burn clean.

Get extra mags, and enjoy the new addition.

best

Hal

Selfdfenz,
If you enjoy doing some tinkering here's the place to pick up some goodies for your .22/45.

www.ontargetguns.com/

JohnKSa
I always keep forgetting about the overtravel adjustment, thanks for adding that.