22-250 Pistol Data

Full-choke

I have a 22-250 Pistol barrel (15") for my TC Encore. I ran through all of my books last night and I only found one of the four had any data on loading them for a pistol. The Lyman book I think had 3 or 4 different load choices in there but not much. The newest Hornady, Sierra and Modern Reloading didn't have anything. Does anyone else have some data that they know works well or which books I might need to look into?

Thanks,
F-C

rwilson452

I don't know of any off hand nor do I recall seeing any. I suppose your best bet would be to try some rifle loads using the faster powders.

Full-choke

The Lyman manual had it using IMR 3031 I know for sure, somewhere in the 27-28 grain range (don't have the book in front of me here at work). And that was out of a 22-250 15" Encore barrel just like mine. I think it might have also had a varget load in there as well, but I thought Varget was a slower burning powder for the long barreled target/varmint rifles?

F-C

ForneyRider

IMR 3031, IMR 4064, H-Varget, BL(C)-2, all good plus tons more.

Only familar with rifle .22-250.

We did 35gr of H-Varget with 50gr bullet, but G&A had some loads of 38gr H-Varget with 55gr bullet. They were hitting ~3850fps with most of their loads. They were all based around 55gr bullets. But they used lots of diff. powder and bullets. Again these were all rifle.

Varget is great stuff.

crowbeaner

Try 34.0 of 4895 and the Speer 52 grain HP (original). That's max. so work up. 4895 still gives the top velocity with the short barrel on my kid's 243, and I suspect it will do the job in the Contender as the 15 incher is only 3.5 inches shorter than the M788.

WSM MAGNUM

The newest Hornady, Sierra and Modern Reloading didn't have anything.

Sure it does. I have the 7th Edition Sierra Manual and it has a section in it just for T/C`s. I use the 22-250 data from it. There is seven different bullet choices.
It`s under the Single Shot Pistol Reloading Data. It has data from 22 Rem. Jet all the way to 45-70 Gov.

tom234

You might want to just use regular rifle load data then get a chronograph to see how they preform in a shorter barrel.