.22-250 Load

C7AR15

Hello All,

I have a Weatherby Vanguard MOA rifle with a 16 oz trigger

Anybody have a super duper accurate load for the .22-250 that they are willing to share ?? Got a VFS match coming up.
The barrel is a 1 in 12 twist ..

Thanks

1stmar

35.5gr imr4064 Sierra 1400 cci primer about .005 off the lands. Shoots sub 1/2moa for me. I'm also using 1:12. Have had good luck w same charge and Sierra 1390s too.

Panfisher

Mine has always like 34.0 gn or IMR 4895 and a 55 gn Nosler Ballistic Tip. Don't know if it is the most accurate or not, liked it well enough I didn't expirament any more.

Kevin Rohrer

This is another question that has been asked many times.

35gr or 36gr of IMR4064 and a 55gr bullet. I was using Speer, but switched to Hornady .

Mobuck

My old "money shot" load was/is Hornady 53 grain Match flat base, CCI primer, and IMR 4895 just below the point of leaving "ejector marks". Out of my Rem 700, this load put a lot of coyote fur on the ground and won me quite a bit of grocery money back in the lean years.

C7AR15

"This is another question that has been asked many times." Kevin

I'm sure it has, but using the search engine on this website does not give you previous answers. :(

Also as time flies by, there are NEW powders and bullets that come on the market. Hopefully they are an improvement !!:D

joed

No one with Varget? Been using that since I quit using H380. Only bullet that has shot exceptionally from my 700 VS is the Sierra 52 gr MK and 38.0 gr of Varget for 3690 fps. This is a max load out of my Lyman manual and my most accurate load for this cartridge.

53 Vmax, 33.4 gr Benchmark, WLR primers. 3680 fps and itty bitty gruops. That 53 Vmax has great ballistic coefficient, as good as many of the heavier .224 cal bullets.

Rifletom

joed,
Varget is a good powder in the 22-250. I just had better accuracy, but only a little, but better with IMR4064. 52gr Speer or 55gr Sierra #1390.

joed

Rifletom, interesting that you got better accuracy with IMR4064. I may give it a try in my rifle when I run out of Varget.

I haven't spent much time loading the .22-250 at all. I started with H380 but gave that up because hunting in the winter using H380 I noticed POI kept changing. After that I tried Varget, it gave good performance and was accurate in my rifle. But, recently I've been thinking of trying a different powder to see if there is something better.

Also wish I could find another bullet as the best so far has been the Sierra 52 gr MK. I'd like to find a 55 gr bullet that gives the same accuracy.

Rifletom

joed,
There are a number of good powders that work in the 22-250. IMR4064 just happen to work best in my rifle. The bullet that I use is the Sierra "Gameking" #1390. Give this load a try. I believe you'll like it.

C7AR15

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

I now have several loads to try out. Should keep me busy for some time !!

JD

hagar

I'll give you a load that worked extremely well in my Remington bull barrel 1 in 14 twist, the 64 grain Winchester PP bullet with 38.5 grains of 4350. I shot a lot of coyotes, deer and javelina with it in AZ. The bullets I recovered were nicely mushroomed and did not break apart. I never found another load that gave me better accuracy at 200 yards.